Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 41 warszawa

Today Mr. Mecham had some business in Warszawa (Warsaw... pronounced Varshava)... and so we decided to tag along and see some signts!
1) Traffic in Warsaw... HEAVEN HELP ME! Once we got into Warsaw it took us nearly an hour just to get onto the street where he would be going to a meeting. On our way to that building Mr. Mecham almost pulled in front of a train and got us killed. It was very exciting! Once we finally dropped him off I took the wheel. We were headed for the King's Royal Palace! And I drove right there... but there wasn't one parking space in the entire place and then I took a turn and couldn't figure out how to get back to the King's palace or town center and I got us so lost that we decided to go to IKEA instead and wait for Mr. Mecham to get out of his meetings. But I got lost on the way to IKEA and so stuck in traffic that there was only 1/2 hour until Mr. Mecham was scheduled to be done. And so I thought we better try to find his office... with my track record of the day it was a sure thing that I would get lost. But I didn't... however, I almost got in a head on collision with a bus. That was exciting... and the bus driver yelled at me in Polish and shooed me out of his way with his hand.

(I thought this little lady was a kick! She must have had a death wish riding her bicycle in that traffic... chewing her hubba bubba and listening to her head set... CRAXY!)
I was even early to pick up Mr. Mecham... and I parked in a great place which I later found out wasn't a parking spot at all but rather a place for the people to wait for the bus. No freaken' wonder they all stared at me and no less than 15 buses pulled up behind me. Basically, we drove around for 2 hours.

2)King's palace and old town Warsaw... Once we had Mr. Mecham with us we found it... and it was, as expected, marvelous! Warsaw was completely obliterated during WWII by the Germans. And then it was rebuilt to look identical from looking at old pictures.

Front view of Palace from the road.

Cole at the backside of the castle. This is where the tourists go in.


Nate in palace courtyard looking towards Prince's apartment in the palace.

Kids in the courtyard of the Palace looking towards the entrance to the King's chambers.


Once inside you head up the stairs... They were marbel and very big!




And at the top of the stairs we were dumped into this lovely Blue room full of gold and paintings. Even the ceiling had art on it.. of a naked lady and her cherub children.

The room next to that was the grande Ball room. It was pretty much golden. McKay wanted to know why every room has to have either naked lady paintings or nakey man statues. I didn't know the answer.

Next we came upon the throne room. It was red.

This was the King's bed chamber... I was disappointed with the size of the bed... I think it should've been bigger!


Down.down.down.down. in the bassement was the cloak room... and in it was a bathtub... The cloak room was a HUGEMUNGO closet... like bigger than my entire house closet! which is currently being used as an office for the palace! Out side that was a gift shop.

There were quite a few other rooms... obviously... and all the rooms were fit for a KING!

3)Old Town Warsaw... BEAUTIFUL!


I love that all the buildings have rooms underneith them. And they have mini doors going down into them. This one was really pretty... it lead into the watercloset... which is indefinately a trick since this door is so pretty and the waterclosets here stink to high heavens!


this little church was sitting on the side of the road...








4)Ikea: We expected lots of goodness in IKEA... We couldn't find a cookie sheet there or a crock pot. NO WHERE in Po land can we find these items... SUCH A BUMMER!
Great day! So fun to see the sights. There is still so much to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mechams how we miss you! We love the updates on your adventures.

Merilee said...

How can they not have a cookie sheet? Ours has one. It's stupid that things are so backwards. Cookie sheets are staples - like air, and jesus.