Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 25


The Chapel doors seem to say to me...
This is the front door of our church house. I am still shocked each week as I go to church. EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. I am humbled again and again over this little branch...

We ring this bell (2nd one down) and the missionaries let us in.

We then walk into this concrete entry and up these stairs to worship.

Today President and Sister Nielson visited Lublin. They are one of our great connections to home. So when we get to see them all our troubles seem to disappear! We absolutely love them!

When we got home there was sad news on our answering machine from the homeland... Elder Basha's sweet aunt passed away this morning. By the look on his face when he entered my house for dinner tonight, I could tell that she will not only be missed but is terribly loved by one very devoted and hard working elder... And to be real honest I broke a mission rule and hugged that Elder Basha... because my heart hurt for him. And he said its okay because I'm like his other mother. So I am happy to report that I have a missionary son! Whom I love and who did an amazing job translating today in church.
Our deepest condulances to the Basha and Huish families today.

In remebrance of that September morning... a decade ago...
I have thought a hundred times today about America. Perhaps I feel more patriotic right now after being given the opportunity to know just how great it really is.
I am chilled when I remember that morning: There I sat, in the same bedroom of my youth, feeding Mckay and my mother came charging in wearing her nightgown. Drawing me to follow her with her pointer finger she said, "hurry, you have to see this." Nate had called and he told her to turn on the news. We watched in disbelief... not having a clue yet that America was actually under attack! And then, as if we were viewing a horror film, we watched the 2nd plane hit the building... we heard the horror of the filming, and shortly thereafter watched as those towers crashed with a thunder that we seemed to feel thousands of miles from where it actually happenend. The remainder of the day was a sick feeling for those families who clearly lost loved ones, the fear of America under attack and the errie silence that filled the outside... Not a plane in site... And then... One Nation, Under God, who united together in prayer and mourning and in complete determination to fight to keep our liberties...
Needless to say, I will never forget. I am proud to be an American! Anyone who isn't may take the time outside of that beloved country to find out how promised it really is.
God Bless America!

1 comment:

Merilee said...

Cool church! Gotta love the primitave-ness of the gospel. It really reminds me to keep the simplicity of it all. On the patriotic note, I watched a series on biography channel about 9/11. One guy was stuck in tower 1 (84th floor), made it to floor 21, the tower collapsed and he ended up digging himself up 45 feet. Unbelievable. One nation under God is right! It's only through the grace of god that we survive things to live to tell. God bless the U.S.A!