Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 39 The Tale of two Catholics


Lukus hasn't been back to church since the week after his baptism. The missionaries have tried and tried to call. President Mecham even gave it a shot. Then a friend of Lukus' called the missionaries wondering where he is? So President and the Missionaries went looking. They drove 45 minutes to his house and his mother answered the door mad! Like SUPER MAD! She did not want Lukus to get baptized. She told them that he won't be calling them and they can just leave Lukus alone. Did I say Mad? I meant SHE. WAS. MAD!!

I gave this little situation some thought. I have a sickness where I analize these kinds of ordeals... Afterall, WHY? Why would a mother be so angry at her adult son? How could she think so little of his decision to worship without even checking out what or who he is worshiping? Especially if it meant so much to him. Then I thought of all the members of the church where I worship. I know that my own mother feels sad over her own children when they choose something that she doesn't see in accordance with gospel teachings. I thought of my children... I feel sad when they make sad choices. And so I began to have a little sympathy for this little lady... but it still made me sad. Perhaps she feels like her son has made a choice which will end in hell, fire and brimstone.

Here is the deal in Poland. Poland was one of the first countries to have a constitution with religious freedom... Thus the Jews moved here and we know the rest of that story. Today there are many religions here again, but the predominant faith is Catholisism. Roman Catholic. I preface this next part with a statement: While I have beliefs that make me a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and I believe it so much that I want to shout it out to the world, I do not dislike people of other faiths. Infact, I marvel in those that make religion a priority in their life. I am in awe at the majestic buildings that these people have errected for worship. I have people very close to me that have beliefs within the Jewish faith, the catholic faith, Lutherans, and even Jehovas Witness. I have found religion a topic of huge interest my entire life. I have studied and prayed to find my own. I have long had a desire to share the happy message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with others. And I have often wondered why so many reject this glad message. Here in Poland it was explained plain and clear:


(this is my fav picture of the late Pope)

Pope John Paul II was Polish. He was an amazing leader, inspired many and especially the Polish people during communism. He gave hope to their circumstance and fought for their freedom! He did so much for his beloved country, while in a position of leadership, and he is not only respected by the world, but most beloved by the Polish people. He is a savior type for them. I can see why. I can see how. And I, a little Mormon girl, have a new love and respect for such a great man. I will not be changing my religion though. The Polish people are dedicated to Pope John Paul II. They feel that if they change their religion then they are betraying the very man who gave them their freedom. Many of them are Catholic because of him rather than their belief of the religion which he lead. And so it is, that even if Catholisim doesn't answer their religious questions (where did they come from? where are we going? why are we here? Am I happy with this faith?) they won't betray the late Pope. I wonder if Pope John Paul ever thought that his message of Jesus Christ would cause such heart ache? In Lukus's situation, he was nearly disowned by his own mother and is now in hiding from the missionaries. It made us sad. All I can think about is his words the day he was baptized, "I am so full of happy!"

Before I came here I was told of another story about a man who's son I know well. This man was also raised Catholic in his very wonderful and religious family. But he decided to investigate the LDS faith and ended up being baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. His father, still a devout Catholic, told him that if he was going to be a Mormon then he should be the best Mormon there was. EVEN today, his father goes to Catholic church nearly every morning and his fine son magnifies his callings in the Mormon church, raised his family there and sent his son to Poland on a mission. And grandpa just supports and loves his son who has lived a life of successes. I can't help but think of how happy it must make our Heavenly Father.

In this Tale of two Catholics, how do you have both worshiping in a faith that teaches the same lessons and come out with such different results? Christ is the center of Christianity, I would expect that if one is following their religion then they would strive to behave like the very Son of God whose name they claim.

This caused great thought... I have seen my own Mother and Father stand beside their children, whether they chose to be LDS or not... and love them without bounds even when it was painful and against their wishes. And I know they have done that because each week they go to church and they not only believe what they hear but they know who the Savior of the world is. They know that his life and mission was full of love.

No comments: