Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 20 makro

On Saturday Mr. Mecham got us a membership at Makro. We heard that we might find American ingredients there. Today we went shopping there with HIGH hopes for brown sugar and real tasting vanilla. No luck. Bummer! We did find jogobella drinkable yogurt though. And we bought a whole case which literally fills the bottom shelf of our fridge! We also found soft toilet paper in bulk. Nothing at the store here is in bulk. We also found where we will be buying our chocolate to bring home at Christmas! But NO American ingredients. Makro has the shopping cart situation just about solved... nobody is steeling carts from Makro! The carts are all chained together and to unchain and borrow a cart you must put in 5zt. When you return the cart and rechain it you get your money back.
We also went to the mall. We heard the movies were in English with Polish subtitles and Lion King 3d is here in Lublin! We missed the showing though. So we window shopped mostly. Bailey had something on that tripped the theif alarm every time we went in and out of a store. So we got searched about 25 times. It was awesome! Just before we were going to leave we saw a grocery store in the mall... it seemed strange to us to have a grocery store on the 3rd level of a mall... so we went inside! YIPPEE... American Food! Still no vanilla or brown sugar... but I'll be darned if we didn't find Nesquick choc. milk mix and you would've thought McKay just hit his first homerun! He was beyond delighted! Never mind the expence. We also found an entire Mexican food section with black beans! 1 can (which is 1/2 the size of the cans at home) was only 6zt... which interprets to be about $2.14. YIPES! We also found tortillas... but Mr. Mecham is now our tortilla maker and so we don't need to purchase those. AND... drum roll... CELANTRO! Still in plant form... but Celantro. I just have to get used to going to the garden center by the flowers to get my celantro all planted with the dirt rather than the produce section all washed and cut!




I went for a run this morning. Thankful to be alive tonight. I feel remorse for my lack of running over the past year. My body was yelling at me all day for it.

Things I learned today:
* The tooth fairy is international. It dropped of money for McKay's molar in zt rather than $.
* it's official: Elder Plumb-ski will be transfered this week. Heart hurts. But we keep Elder Basha! We will really really really miss Elder Plumb... Tomorrow he wants orange chicken for his going away dinner. I didn't have the heart to tell him I've never in my life made orange chicken... And I couldn't find it in the 3 stores I went to... but I did find sweet and sour chicken mix. He will be delighted.
* Benedryl doesn't exist in Poland?

2 comments:

Merilee said...

I bet it's such the adventure. I can't wait to try the yoghurt! Sounds yuma lish!

Martta said...

Love the blog... I also noticed the "loo" is referred to as "WC"---love it! Takes me back to my travels...love you guys! Hope all is well!
p.s. Jessica's blog address has changed--just fyi...