Wednesday, January 7, 2009

One decade ago...

I have been known to have camera happiness... but I am 100 times better today than I was a decade ago. Today was the celebration of the birth of my first born... and here are 3 of my personal favorite photos that my camera happiness has left me with. Bailey was born on a cold winter morning a decade ago! The nurses didn't really believe me that I was in labor because I was nearly skipping down the hall with a ginormous smile on my face! Of course I hadn't a clue what "true labor" felt like but I was 6 days over due and so for me it was like every other over due pregnant lady... swollen and willing to do anything to relocate that barbie doll bod!! (that I've never had... but was certain that when the babe was out I would have!) And quite frankly, any good OBGyn knows that you don't send that woman home... and so I stayed and was~ in fact~ in labor and did deliver all pink in just a few hours.

Before Bailey was born I had an ultrasound and on that day I viewed my unborn, firstborn riding a bike in the womb. Bailey was a mover and shaker from conception! And she hasn't disappointed me since...

As cute as she could be, this little spit-fire melted her daddy's heart and wrapped me around and around her tiny pinkie. Nate and I would dash (and nothing less) to her cradle when she began to wake~ to be the first to hold her. It was ridiculous how hard we fell for her. Just after Bailey was born Nate and I began moving all over the U.S. (with his job) and I was so thankful to have Bailey to hang out with me each time we set up residency in a foreign place. I needed her as much as she needed me.... and I'm more thankful today that she chose to grace our family with her life. There is never a dull moment with Bailey.
It is a wonder how a decade has escaped us. I see my beautiful little baby...once so helpless... now so capable. She is reliable. She is determined. She is helpful. She is independent in so many ways. And the thought that her little life in my home is about 1/2 over makes my head spin.
So... on this day we celebrate the life of Ms. Bailey I recount 10 (though there are a zillion) beautiful things about my only daughter...
1) She has brought unmeasurable joy to my life.
2) She has made me feel deeper than I thought humanly possible.
3) She has lead me down a path of learning to destinations I didn't know existed.
4) Bailey is naturally smart.
5) Bailey is funny. Her laugh will crack you up! This chick is funny bidness!
6) She is concerned about EVERY body and making sure that they are enjoying happiness through good decisions... This is sometimes viewed as being bossy but I think it is a strength because it is for other's good that she feels this.
7) DETERMINED!!! People have said over and over... "don't break her spirit"! For the most part the determination exhibited by Bailey is fantastic...and then sometimes it is better described as stunning! (I am often stunned in trying not to break the spirit!) She reminds me of her parents! Hopefully she will turn out better than us!
8) Beautiful! I might be biased... but I love to look at her sweet little face... and hands.
9) Bailey is helpful beyond the call of duty. She will make an amazing mother to some very lucky little people one day.
10)Bailey is loyal.
Ms. Bailey,
You might not realize it, but you were the child that I imagined as a young girl playing dolls. You were wanted from the time that I could say, "when I grow up I want to be a mommy". Before I knew you, you were hoped for. It is my hope that I never leave room for question. A decade has flown by... and I can't imagine that the next one will slow down any. That is why I take so many picture. Today... on the celebration of your mortal life, I wish you all the happiness you could fathom.... the self image to see yourself as Heaven does, the health to carry out goodness that will bring you joy... I wish you a daughter like yourself and strength to endure all the trial that will make you stronger. You are amazing in EVERY way!
Happy Birthday, my friend. I love you!!!
mom












10 comments:

Jo Dee said...

I think she is amazing too. when I had her in my class over the summer I couldn't believe how thoughtful she was of her brother. She always made sure he was getting a turn, or helping, or seeing what was going on. She is a go getter and I'll bet this will take her far in life! You done good Bec!

Ms. Young said...

Bailey is the best! She wins Ellie's "who is my favorite cousin contest" by a landslide! I am so glad that we got to spend her birthday with her. Thanks for having us! Thanks for being such a special part of our family - Bailey....we love you.

Anonymous said...

I got to know Ms. Bailey when I had the opportunity to teach her piano for a little while. She is an amazingly cute girl full of spunk! Happy Birthday Bailey!

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

What a beautiful post and tribute to Bailey. How could she not be down right wonderful with the family that she has? She is and always has been a cutie! Happy Birthday!

Michelle said...

What would we do without daughters? Bailey is awesome and our family loves her! Happy Birthday!

Pink Slippers said...

Happy Birthday to her. My last two births the nurses were taking bets on who thought I was going home and who thought I was going to be checked in. All because I was not screaming but smiling. Guess what? I was in labor and got to stay each time. lol.

Blake & Melissa said...

Awww...happy belated birthday, Bailey!

☂niki. said...

she is, and always has been adorable! those are fabulous pictures, all of them! i think mandi's presely looks A LOT like that first pic of bailey. crazy!

can i just tell you, your comments are some of my favorites to read. i get excited every time you leave one. you always crack me up and you always leave me feeling great.

and i had no idea cecil was freddy's gma! so funny. thanks for sharing that tid bit. i wonder why it never occurred to me...

Gail said...

What a great tribute to your firstborn! She is lucky to have you for a mom. I love your description of the labor process...so funny. I too have the ailment of camera happiness and completely understand your addiction. Especially because your pictures are amazing! She's adorable:). Happy Birthday Bailey!

Lindsay Jones said...

What a sweet post, I am getting teary! You are such a wonderful mother and a wonderful example! Your labor story with Bailey is one of my most favorite stories I have ever heard!! You are great!