Monday, January 12, 2009

Have you ever needed a good laugh?

You know the old saying... A true friend is one who knows you and still loves you...
Introducing one of my very truest friends... BOY HOWDY... does she know me well!
When I left for college I took with me a friend.. or two... and we roomed in the lovely Forest Gate apartments until we moved into a house until we got married (both of us the same year to different men). Living together that long really lets you in on a person... and so this is when I decided that I would have a forever friend in Sarah Jane. As the long story goes, we had some unique roomies along the way... and we survived together with hours and days and months and years of laughter. Pretty much we found college to be a hilarious journey!
Fast forward 13 years... Have you ever really needed a good laugh? I think Sarah has "the force" because each time I'm in need for a good laugh she comes through without even knowing it. It's like she senses the disturbance in the force so she calls or e-mails and rattles off something that puts me back on my planet and gets me going again.
Who randomly writes or calls just to tell you how amazing you are (and makes the picture even brighter than it really is) or calls for advise on something that she is totally over qualified to be giving advise on? I've been blessed with a few... and Sarah is dead on EVERY SINGLE TIME!
So... In honor of one true friend I introduce a dozen seriously amazing things about the lovely Ms. Holt whom I aspire to be more like every day...
1) She is so funny it hurts... in fact... so funny that I can just think of some of the hilarious moments and it gets me out of the WORST rut!
2) She is THE MOST complimentary person I have ever known. (she came by it rightfully... if you know her angel mother you see the fruit doesn't fall too far from the tree)
3) She is so ridiculously smart that Einstein would feel stupid around her.
4) She remembers all the important dates, phrases and people required to make her (in my eyes) one of the most thoughtful people that I associate with.
5) CREATIVE! She puts Martha to shame... Honestly!
6) Sarah Jane is a straight shooter but she is so tactful that she could tell somebody where to go and how to get there and they would thank her for the directions. (this happens to be a quality that as a young adult my mother informed me I do NOT have... but I am still looking for it with high hopes!)
7) She is a logical thinker, naturally, and understands the whole picture of any situation without too much thought. How would it be to live in a world of people like that?
8) She is the mother that future generations will be reading quotes about... she rivals Nancy Hanks Lincoln (who is the "Angel Mother" in "all that I am or hope to be I owe to my Angel Mother" - Abraham Lincoln)
9) She is one of those people that when you look at you think, "she is classy". or "she is cute". "I want my hair cut like Sarah" (because if I have her haircut surly I will look like and act like her.)
10) She honors and loves her parents (and there is a lot to uphold there!!!) with complete devotion and love. It is inspiring. I've known Sarah since I was a Sophomore in high school and I can't think of a negative shared thought about her beloved Father or Mother that she ever shared... and so I would imagine that her children will honor her much the same way.
11) She married well... And so did Scott. They were the match made in heaven!
12) She finished college and got married while I farted around and still have a diploma in my future!
13) She is loyal and determined. These qualities are some of my favorite... because they take us so far in life... and pull so many needing hands along the way... and she IS going far!
14) Sarah reminds me of one of my very most favorite heroines... Marjory Pay Hinckley... and I can't quite imagine a life long journey without a dear friend like her.
15) as life goes, I don't see Sarah as often as I would like... but if a hundred years went by and I ran into her in the grocery store, I know she'd pick up right where we left off (make me feel like a prom queen) while I was stumbling to explain my absence.
So... more than a dozen... but not enough to realistically give you insight to the truly incredible individual that she really is.
Dear Pita,
everyone deserves a friend like you...

3 comments:

Gail said...

What an amazing tribute! I want to know her too now:). Your tribute only shows what an amazing friend and person you are too! So sweet, and clever... as usual.

Full House said...

That was awesome. I hope she read it. You are lucky to have roomed with her. Wait Utah State right. Yes everybody loves Sarah.

Everton Family said...

I couldn't agree more. While reading this I just kept thinking how grateful I am to have Sarah in my life too. We are so lucky...but Sarah is also incredibly lucky to have you too! You are a very thoughtful and amazing person.