Monday, January 5, 2009

Bitter Sweet

Today has been a bitter sweet day for us... Nate was released from the bishopric. It is hard to put our feelings into words. If you told me a week ago that I would feel a little empty with this release I would have NEVER agreed... but today that is EXACTLY where I sit. I think I feel a portion of what Nate feels... and he sure has been quiet today.
A few years ago, Sister Smith (who's husband preceded mine as the 2nd counselor) said that she was going to miss the blessings that came from serving in the bishopric. I kinda thought that was funny since Heavenly Father blesses all of His children who serve in any capacity... but today I empathize in great part with that feeling.
Two-ish years ago when Nate was called to serve with Bishop Brown that call was scary! I laughed (story for another day) but on that day, the coloring in Nate's face disappeared pretty quickly... and he was ALL serious business! Don't get me wrong... Nate was willing... but a little nervous! Of course the Lord qualifies whom He calls... Of course Nate would serve Him in any capacity... But he certainly was blind-sighted by the call... and ever so humbled. I have been guilty to say the Nate never aspired to be in the bishopric. And he didn't. I have been guilty to say the "I NEVER want him to be the bishop". And I don't think anyone really asks for that call. But over the past 24 hours I have learned a lesson that is now a part of me.... The Lord blesses us for serving. As frightening as a calling with a lot of responsibility can be, I realized that Heavenly Father really does take care of His servants. And today I echo Sister Brown who mentioned that it is scary to come to the realization that the abundance of blessings that we have enjoyed over the course of this calling... because of this calling... are now given to those serving in that calling... It is difficult to give them up.
Nate really loves the members in our ward. He speaks lovingly and with great concern and kindness about all of them. He loved serving in the bishopric... today he would admit that without any fear at all... and I know he will miss that association with our ward.
Thank you, Nate, for serving and from doing so bringing the blessings into our home. I keep reminding myself... change is good... and sometimes a little bit of bitter along with the sweet.


5 comments:

Jo Dee said...

We loved having him in the bishopric but I am relieved for you and him that the "big" call slipped him by. He will make an amazing bishop someday, but lucky for you and the little Mechams that wasnt today. PS I will be seeing you in the morning for the big weigh in!

Alison said...

We love your family and have appreciated Nate's willingness to serve with Curt. Good counselors make all the difference! Thanks for sharing your hubby!

Grandmommy Crum said...

What are we going to do without our Nate! Oh how I love your family! Nate's soothing loving voice is one of the things I love about him. Also his acceptence of all, his tender way of loving us. I will miss him in the bishopric alot!!!! Thankyou for sharing him with our ward! Im so glad your in Young Woman, you are one of Lexi's favorites! I wish I could send you and Nate on a vacation to Hawaii or somewhere to rest for awhile, You guys deserve it!!! Thanks for all you do! Love ya

cherryl said...

watch out becky- bruce was released from the bishopric after 3years and a few months later i was called to be primary president... i think your turn is next!! :) i think i prefer HIM having the time consuming calling... haha. and i agree, it was a sacrifice, but we felt the blessings from it. but oh man, how i LOVED having him home again! how lucky your ward is to have you!

Gail said...

Wow, I'm so out of the loop! I've been out of town and completely off blogging so I had no idea. When I first heard Nate was being put in the bishopbric, I thought Nate would make a great bishop someday and he no doubt will. Even if you never want it:). You will continue to be blessed for the service you've both rendered. But for now, enjoy the break, it won't be long!