Thursday, January 15, 2009

The birthday candles are glowing again... BRIGHTLY!

This is Nate, his dad and his two brothers... mountain men... They love taking off with a back pack and some jerky and setting up camp somewhere to fish... but they don't go often enough. I chose this photograph because I believe it is one of Nate's father's favorite things to do... (be with his family) and today is his birthday celebration!
Happy Birthday Richard W. Mecham (Otherwise best know to us as Dad and Grandpa)

It is my understanding, from reliable sources, that today is the day (70 years ago) that Grandpa LeRoy and Grandma Ethel welcomed their youngest child... a boy... to their family of 5 in the small coal mining town of Hiawatha, UT. I can't quite imagine their joy, being that his sister was 3 1/2 years his elder. But quite frankly I don't know much about his growing up years... other than the story that Grandma used to tell of him running away all the time. She found him escape up over the hill too often, so she tied his coveralls to the close line and let him loose... as far as the leash would take him.

All of my association with Mr. Mecham started on February 19, 1995 when Nate and I went out on our 2nd date... Nothing like breaking them in slowly... Dad and Mom Mecham met up with Matt and Jamie (Nate's younger brother and wife) and Nate and I for some fine dining and "America Sings" (A Glenn Miller Tribute). My first impression of him as he walked toward the car in his suit, with a classy petite lady on his arm, was "here comes Daddy Warbucks". It wasn't until much later (like... Spring of the same year!) that Nate and I visited his home in American Fork. Dad (who was more like Mr. Mecham at the time) asked me to "come with me to pick up Jordy (the family pooch) from getting her hair cut." "Just me?" I nervously thought. "Is this an interview? By Daddy Warbucks?" Then he tossed me the keys to his 1987-ish Toyota Camry... stick shift... "you drive" he confidently said. Never mind that I, myself, learned to drive on a stick shift car... I was shaken' in my runny shoes... something fierce! After a few grinds into reverse, nearly taking out a rose bush (or two) lining his driveway and a jolt here and there we safely returned and I was ready to go back to my college apartment with no more talky. The anticipation of whether or not I passed the exam was more than I could take... even if the professor was one of the kindest people I've ever known.

With each visit I discovered a deeper kindness, more sincerity, and patience that I'd never seen in anyone before. I discovered "daddy Warbucks" to be humble and practical, and devoted to his wife much like the father I grew up with. With each visit I saw a hard working genius who loves his own unconditionally.... and the ones that they bring home too... and after a while I decided, maybe I passed that test after all!

One day after I had been eternally bound to his family (so there wasn't much he could do about it anymore) Dad was in a group conversation where a story of somebody that he loves was being recounted. It wasn't nice... and he was posed with a question in hopes of a negative return... to which he kindly replied, "I don't think it's nice to talk about anybody". And that was that. We all shamefully glanced at one another realizing our transgression and with deepened respect for the patriarch of the Mecham home, we went to bed. And you know what? I believe he has my back should the same situation arise about me.

To my father-in-law I owe a million thanks... a trillion thanks... and then some. You see, he gave a gift to me that I will ever be indebted for: I live with man of dreams.... who happens to have taken with him several of the gajillion profound qualities that his father has. And contrary to popular belief, you don't learn them without an extraordinary example.

My gratitude to you.

As tradition goes... Here is a modest list of a few of the reasons why I love my father-in-law:

* He upholds and honors his priesthood.

* He is generous.

* He is patient.

* He is loyal.

* He is intelligent and well educated.

* He is a family man... through and through... and he loves his own.

* He is funny.

* He know a zillion people and they all like him!

* He loves baseball.

* He loves to be outdoors... fishing, hiking...

* He is incredibly kind.

* He takes care of his responsibility.

* I've never heard him raise his voice... and my children have given him ample opportunity.

* He tirelessly serves.

* He always smells good. Go figure! Every time I hug him he smells good.

* He has always been accepting of me and my family... our faults... and treats us like royalty.

* He never speaks unkindly about anybody.

* I once heard Nate confide something in him that I believe has never been repeated to anyone... therefore making him a vault of information.

Dear Dad Mecham,

On this landmark anniversary of your birth I wish you the rest of your life with people like yourself... it will be quite enjoyable! And I wish you health to keep you young enough for another trip to the Grand Daddies with your boys! And I wish for you that the Yankees will win another world series (and I really wish you can be there to see it). And I wish you happiness and a flood of good memories that makes you excited to rise every morning. And I wish you a hundred tractor rides with the grand kids on your knee. And I wish for you long walks with mom on your arm. Make 70 magical!

We wish we were there to eat some cake with you. Happiest Birthday... with mountains of love.

4 comments:

Pink Slippers said...

Great post, cute story and Happy Birthday!

Ms. Young said...

I agree with all of the wonderful things said about Grandpa Mecham. The man is first class all the way! Happy Birthday sir!!! It is a pleasure to know you!

Nichols Family said...

I just got caught up on your blog. Very sweet tributes to your family and friends! But lets not forget that YOU are amazing too, yes, you are.

Kaye said...

Awesome blog, and dang cute,just like you!!! But who is SUZ?