Friday, January 2, 2009

I resolve myself to...

I believe Greg Olsen is the artist who created this image.



A Mecham tradition is that we each give a gift to the baby Jesus every year. (a lot like a new years resolution) We wrap up a little wooden baby Jesus with our commitment written out on paper and place it under the tree... to be opened on Christmas morn and carried out through the year. Though Cole tries his hardest to figure out how he will get a new lightening McQueen hot rod to heaven, this is not the kind of gift we offer. In years past some have tried so hard to "give" up sibling rivalry... others to "give" the gift of better visit teaching... or to stop swearing (at least around the kids)!

In the events of this past year, I was fortunate and quite unfortunate to witness a life altering event at the sacrifice of Stephanie and her beloved. In serving her family I found the truth in so many things... the reality and promise we have been given to "find our self in service", to name one. My testimony of a merciful God and the Savior of the world has grown monumentally. My understanding of the Word of Wisdom is more clear... and I am more determined to live it. I have friendships that are bound by loving service. These people are genuine and kind and I can't imagine living a life long without them. I feel that I saw a literal raising from the dead. Nie and Mr. Nielson are my miracle... and yours... and I am thankful to a loving Father in Heaven for allowing me to be a part of world-wide gathering of His children... coming together for good. I learned lessons that changed me forever.

From this event and education, I have chosen to gift the baby Jesus my commitment to openly share His gospel (shamelessly) with anyone and everyone. And as a new years resolution I will serve, more diligently, His children.

Today, on the fist day of a new year, I declare a heart felt love and honor and a devotion, unshakable, to Jesus Christ. I know He is real and that He will return to earth as promised by prophets. I anticipate that day so that I might personally thank Him for an unearthly abundance of blessings that have come from His atonement.

Enjoy a Healthy, prosperous year full of gratitude and optimism!





3 comments:

Jo Dee said...

I find myself sounding a large Ditto your way. I agree that serving others creates amazing friendships. I am lucky enough to have been bonded to you through this trial of the Nielsons. I am glad to say we are friends. you are truely an example of selfless service to many many people. I learn alot from you and I am blessed that Heavenly Father placed you in my path. Thanks friend.PS if I ever move I promise you will not be one of the ones I will be telling off!

Senja said...

This was really beautiful and a great example.
Thank you for finding me in 2008! :)

Barbie said...

Well said Becky. I am looking forward to serving with you during this new year. I really don't know how you get so many things done in a day. Maybe because you're serving instead of running. LOL!