Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tis the season of PARTIES... celebrating the Savior's birth!

How many fabulous celebrations could one fit into the month of December? We kicked it off a primary class party, followed by a lovely ward party, then a work party, grandparents party (the greats were in town for a wedding party... so we had a party), and tonight we had the annual Grandma and Grandpa Bird family Christmas party! Wooo heee... and we still look forward to the fast approaching birthday celebration of the baby Jesus! So... Christmas Eve will find us party-ing with dear friends from Utah... and Christmas day we will join up with family again for... A PARTY!
What do all of these celebrations have in common? Party with people we love... A celebration of the babe, Jesus. It is the season to celebrate, with loved ones, His humble birth, ever so lowly, and His incredible life full of miracles performed by the very hands that were pierced, unjustifiably so for the redemption of mankind. It is a time to reflect the impact His sacrifice has on our lives and our eternal salvation. It is the season to praise and honor Him. I for one, think of the shepherds and wise men who awaited with great anticipation for the sign of his birth.... and sometimes I feel a spark of that excitement when I consider His glorious return to earth!
My children have questioned why Santa comes on the day we celebrate Jesus' birth... and since I can't come up with too great a reason, they came up with one themselves: IT is quite hilarious!
Santa wears red. His hair and beard are white. He is Happy and kind. He magically visits everyone in the world in one night. He knows what they want without even talking to his face. He gives lots of gifts. We don't really see him... but we believe he is there. They have decided that he can be real...
I feel it an atrocity to compare the pre-ordained Savior of the world to jolly old St. Nick, but I think the Almighty has a good sense of humor... and I would imagine that he found it humorous that the kids took the time to make this worldly symbolism of Christmas tie in with it's TRUE meaning. It made me smile. After this was spoken, the very next time I saw Mr. Clause... I actually had three pictures come to mind: the most familiar picture of the Savior in His red robes... our Heavenly Father and "beloved Son" appearing to Joseph Smith in the sacred grove (with His flowing white hair and beard)... and the precious baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes, laying in a manger... and for that moment, I was content with that "worldly" reminder of the true meaning of Christmas!

3 comments:

Jo Dee said...

I wonder what Nate asked Santa for? After the conversation I overheard between he and the librarian on Sunday I know what he's not wishing for! hehehe

Suz said...

What was that?!!!

The Poulsens said...

Hey Mechams!

I should be playing Santa, but I'm blogging! It is so fun to catch up on you guys! I'll add you to my list and check on ya once in a while!

The Poulsens