Thursday, December 11, 2008

Meet the rest of the Fam...

This is little Roadrunner. She is mighty skittish! This Brown leghorn beauty can hide from the best of us... She sleeps WAAAY up in the top of our mulberry tree. Roadrunner is McKay's favorite chicken.This princess is Hardy. She has some sleep disorder? She sleeps with Roadrunner in the top of the Mulberry tree. (at least until our coop pent house suit is finished) The other night I heard an awful chicken cry (about 9:30 p.m.). now... These girls pride themselves in "EARLY to bed..." (around 5:00 p.m.).... So 9:30 was definitely OUT OF CHARACTER! You'll never believe it.... She FELL out of bed! She hasn't been quite the same since. But seriously... if you fell out of her bed, you'd experience insomnia (trauma related) yourself. Poor girl!
This is old lady Brittney. (named after the Brittney Spears, herself.) She is not actually OLD... but she looks old. She has a lump in her breast. No joking here. I can't confirm that it is a tuma, YET! (Dr. Davis told me he would do a little exploratory surgery on her, but he doesn't know the proper dosage of anesthesia so I won't let him do it.) I have a hunch that the lump is a result of her past DRUG usage. (she has been known to use oleander... and it's seriously a harmful addiction to animals~) So... the coop will be a haven for this little lady when it's done... though I'm not sure what she will think of only eating fresh veggie peels and chicken feed. Who would have known that as a little chickly that the name Brittney would fit her so well?!
She is so friendly and prides herself in a good game of "fetch" with the boys.


Meet Princess Buttercup. The kids re-named her (it was Pamela... Anderson~) This little beauty really is a princess. She is quite the social butterfly. Not as social as Brittney, but she is definitely amiable... And ever SOOO beautiful!




Meet Bionce. She is my favorite! MAJESTIC little angel. And she is the only obedient chicken who never flew over my wall to feed in greener pastures. (never mind that she is too fat to fly). Bionce actually gets embarrassed when she molts. I think she knows that she looks bad, so she hides until her feathers are back to their bodacious style. I love this lady!


We had high expectations of our barred rock (Oreo) and an arcana (Eagle)that we adopted this past spring. However, the backyard confinement was too much for them and they were always in the front yard. Before a weekend trip, we clipped their wings, hoping to keep them in the rear. How-so-ever, They both found a way to get over the wall to the front... they never left the front yard, mind you. But somebody let their mean dogs loose and so Eagle and Oreo were made into bath toys. Eagle, who looked powerful and most intimidating, turned out to be the first one to go. Bless her. And Oreo couldn't stand it and committed suicide on Stapely road. We found her in the gutter. Terrible, actually. Considering that they couldn't fly back over the wall because their wings had been clipped kinda makes me feel a little responsible! Rest in peace little ones.
However, yesterday a neighbor abandoned (with my permsission, of course) two arcana's at our house. They don't love the other chickens yet. The pecking order is a little mixed up right now. Bionce was sure that she was "the one"... and we're finding out that our little transient believes that "SHE" is the ONLY ONE! I'll keep you posted when they get their squabbles all figured out... Until then, go ahead and try to find yourself a pet with Half as much personality as these little ladies have. and.. Good luck!




6 comments:

Jo Dee said...

It must be nice to have a pet that you can actually eat part of (the egg of course). I am not this brave. it probably has to do with the fact that our little dog Gus does not like to share his yard. The chickens wouldnt stand chance

cherryl said...

Becky- SO fun to see your blog! you always crack me up, why can't someone like you be my neighbor, thats what i want to know! :) just so you know, i sang your whole "my favorite things" song to the end. loved it, so cute. what a darling mom, such a cute tradition to secretly do nice things for eachother. why dont we do that, instead of just fight. you look great!!

Nichols Family said...

You dork. I didn't know you had a blog! Now that I do I can read through it and catch up! You look so pretty in the Christmas tradition picture! Your kids are growing up so fast I barely recognized them! Thanks for your comment but don't be fooled. I rarely make homemade bread. I just make people make it for me.

Gail said...

Ok, I am laughing out loud! Only you could make raising chicken's in your backyard sound fun! Too bad I already have 2 dogs & a cat or I'd join you:). Too funny! (Oh and you DO look amazing in that last post!)

Amy said...

Becky your stinkin funny. I love chickens. I would love to have them. Is "Dr. Davis" a vet too. Ha! I love it. I think there dern right perdy.

E and T Macdonald said...

What a fun bunch o' chickens!!

Sorry to hear about the two that didn't make it.... our own dog got one of ours a while back.. he didn't bite it... he just scared it to death... chasing it around the yard. So I'm curious, how do they do in the heat? Do you use a misting system to keep 'em cool? We have the opposite problem... snow! ;)

I sang your 'favorite things' song, too... so cute!