Monday, December 29, 2008

My beloved Granny Goose

This is my Granny goose....
Today, if she still graced us with her mortality, we would be slicing German chocolate cake in celebration of her 85th birthday... But today she is one of my guardian angels smiling over me from her angelic, more heavenly, state and reminding me that she is still around...
Two summers ago I ran the Ragnar Wasatch Back race (a great story about defeating parasites, dehydration and over coming sleep deprivation while fighting back tears in face of friends and family...). During that race I ran a stretch near Heber, Ut., the birthplace of my Granny. I thought I would nearly die on this particular stretch. If I weren't so proud, I really would have curled up on the side of the highway and given up the ghost.... But as I ran I looked out over green pastures full of cattle, felt the breeze (actual breeze in late June in UT) and smelled that fresh mountain air... and I heard the voice of my Granny ~ which was more like a chuckle~ and then I felt her encouragement. It was undoubtedly she who was sent as an answer to my immediate prayer to get me through this run. Though I admit that I was at hallucination stages, I know that it was not by coincidence that I heard her (in her familiar voice) retell the same stories (I had heard in my childhood) of her life growing up in "Daniels Creek" ~ which was more like "Daniels Crick"- (because a creek is a crick if you speak true Heberese...) Those stories carried me through my last 4 miles ( of 13.5) of that race... and that, my friends, is one of the gajillion reasons why I still love and often reminisce of my granny goose...
Here are 10 other reasons why I love and miss my Granny...
10) Granny took me shopping... but we never shopped much we just watched people...
9) Granny couldn't tell me no... NOT EVER! I figured this out quite young.
8) Granny was a FIRE BALL... I'd like to think I took some of her spunk with me.
7) Granny NEVER gives up on anyone... in fact, my aunt just went through the temple a few weeks ago... and A mighty fine birthday gift for Granny it was (after 40+ scary years)!
6) Granny created beautiful things... an extremely talented individual she was.
5) I miss planting Granny's flowers for her... I've yet to find one so grateful for such a small act of service. She loved flowers more than anyone I know (although Nate's mom rivals pretty good! Okay... and maybe I do too ~ but I wouldn't admit it because then you might know that part of my planting them for her was selfish!)
4) Though my mother sang to me often, Granny is the first one that I remember singing "I Am A Child Of God" to me... and I often can still hear her singing in that shaky little voice when I hear that song.
3) Granny knew Christmas like nobodies business... talk about glitter and lights!
2) Granny loved her own something fierce. She was the entire cheer leading section and never failed to show her support...
1) In great part, I am who I am because of my parents... but dad is who he is because of his... so I love my Granny for giving me not only an amazing heritage, but for the sacrifices the made to give life to my own father, whom I love and honor.
Today I know that my Granny is smiling down from heaven and that she is happy and healthy and watching over me and even sending me little reminders that I have a guardian angel who knows me well.
Though I miss her something ridiculous... I know I will see her again... and sometimes that is what it takes to fill the void that her absence has left.
I love you Granny Goose...

5 comments:

Jo Dee said...

Grannys are the best. I have an active list going of all the qualities I will have as a granny, thanks for helping me add a few. She sounds like she was an amazing woman.

☂niki. said...

You always have the greatest tributes. You find so many good qualities in people that most would overlook.

Kathryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn said...

What a loving tribute to your Grandmother. Sounds like she was a remarkable woman. It reminds me of my own sweet Grandma and how she was with her grandchildren.

I found your blog through C Jane's and hoped that I might contact you via e-mail. I saw your mention of your hubby's beating skin cancer. (My own hubby, nodular melanoma, mid back...)

Suz said...

Kathryn,
my e-mail is becky.mecham@gmail.com