Wednesday, December 17, 2008

One year older and wiser too!

When dad's number was drawn for "his turn on earth", mom rigged it so that hers was shortly behind... 11 days to be exact! And so the winter of 1946 was doubly blessed!
Where do you find words to describe your mother? I don't know that there is a proper tribute to the one who, in the most literal sense, gave me life; an opportunity to prove myself and take one step closer to my eternal destiny.
My mom doesn't give herself the credit she deserves... not unlike most women! (After all, a mother is partnering with the Almighty when bringing His spirits into the world.) I believe that men know how to love, but it is the love of a mother (in my humble opinion) that is more God like in nature than any other love.
One Sunday as I sat in Young Womens Sister Heywood (who was more like Ms. Crum at the time) was sharing gratitude for her own mother by reminiscing of times when her mom held her hair back during a spewing session... and though we were all laughing, I went home that day thinking about all the times my mom sat knee deep in "puke" with me. Not just any puke... but that projectile back talk puke, the messy house vomit (which looks like the toy department just barfed all over the front room), the spewing of endless whining during the dinner hour, or the tireless efforts that seem to regurgitate "un-noticed"! Then I realized something... she never shirked that responsibility to another. Puke or perfume... Mom has always been there for me. Thick and Thin... good or bad... laughter and tears. So here are my top ten reasons that I love mom...
10) She is funny
9) She is amazingly talented and crafty
8) She is prompt (and ever so patient to those of us who are not)
7) She is dependable. If mom says she is going to do it... She IS GOING TO DO IT!
6) She is going to make dad dinner... (so if you are shopping and 4:00 chimes... spree is OVER... Dad does NOT go without dinner... nor does he even have to dish it up! Sorry Nate, I did not take this quality with me.)
5) She serves ALL THE TIME! Its a daily ritual. And I am often the recipient... Thank You!
4) She is giving. Mom will undoubtedly die a poverty stricken woman and consider herself Wealthy... She is more like the "little stream" than any one I know, although dad rivals pretty good.
3) She loves her "grands" something fierce... and they know it!
4) She has a gajillion friends. Most of them think they are the "best" friend.... and they probably are, but they aren't the only one!
2) She is passionate about the gospel. She is an avid student of the scriptures and pours over them every day. It is an amazing example and one quality that I want to emulate.
1) She isn't shy about telling her family she loves us... whether in words or deeds, it is undeniable. We are all blessed to have her. The more time we are granted, the better we are. She is my friend.
So dear mother... I wish for you this year to see a glimpse of your goodness... (even a glimpse will astound you...) and a portion of my gratitude for all you do... (for even a portion will carry you throughout the rest of your life...) and health to keep you doing all the things that you love the most. Make 62 magical.
I love you.

2 comments:

Suz said...

this is a comment from myself reminding me that in counting backwards it goes 4-3-2-1 NOT 4-3-4-2-1... AND that there are NEVER 10 reasons to love mom... more like 11 or 12 or 4000!

Jo Dee said...

Becky
This was a beautiful tribute to your Mom. Its great to see where you came from and why you are who you are. I can see you had a great example.