Saturday, August 27, 2011

Days 10 and 11

Baptism day is a big day for anyone, anywhere in the world... But we are used to baptism day being in a church in a font. Here in Lublin, we went to a baptism and it wasn't in a font. It was a big deal for many reasons but for the hard working missionaries in Lublin, it was special since there have only been 2 baptisms in this branch in 3 years. I have to say, it was cool! And I was grateful my children were able to see and be a part of it. We are thankful for strong stakes and wards and for Sundays where sacrament mtg is so full and benches are crowded!


Picture of missionaries, elder Plumb from St. George, UT and elder Basha from Arizona, nate and Lukus.


Nate and Lukus coming out of the lake after baptism. Nate baptized Lukus in Polish. He was so nervous to do it but he did a great job! Lukus said he was "so full of happy!" This is the official spot where Cole can look forward to baptism in April. BRRR!


Elder Plumb, Mecham boys and Lukus (which his name in Polish sounds like Wookash Piotr Skorkievich... that isn't the spelling though.)


Elder Bashs and Lukus


Friends from the branch who were also at the baptism. The Guadun's (x3), Arthur (had a sweet Harley!) Basia, and the 3 Taiwanese students who just got back for school. The elders bought cookies and juice for a little treat afterwards.

At the lake there was a whole lot of fishen going on! Two girls rode up on gray horses in full riding gear: boots and hats, riding pants... and they looked so cute!

Things I learned today:
1) the washing machine finally arrived and I can't read anything on it because it's in Polish... but I learned that it takes 2 hours to wash one load and I can't run the washer and dryer at the same time because it trips the fuse.
2) the dryer is actually a dehumidifyer. I am grateful for it anyway since not many Europeans have a dryer. Because it is a dehumidifyer, I not only clean the lint screen but I also dump the water collected out of the clothing.
3) Nate makes amazing tortillas. The Mexican's on his job crew taught him... bless them!
Day 10
Sleep deprivation has officially kicked our trash! Today we were home bound... fighting off naps and wishing for bed times! All of us! McKay did find some time to play his favorite; army guys. He and Cole are loving putting together their new U.S. army legos that we found at the Real store. Real loves us... or atleast they should... we show up every day, buy their groceries, check out their toys since we left all of ours in AZ and then leave with Lody on a cone. I have no clue how much money I am spending in their store yet... I just know I go there every day!


Tonight we had Polish class... insert my gratitude for my 3 years of Russian in high school here... Polish is HARD! But so was Russian! And so tonight I found myself digging deep into the holes of my brain and pulling out some recollection of the foreign language of my choice back in high school. Conjegations, plurals, masculine, femanine, neuter... etc... I am in no way good at Polish: NOT EVEN CLOSE! but it was sure fun to learn language again! The kids were in one class with Elder Basha and the adults were in another class with Elder Plumb! It was awesome! I was surprised at how close a few of the words are to Russian. They are probably the only ones I will ever remember.

Things I learned today:
1) there is an app for my phone that can translate what I am saying from English to Polish and speak it to the person I am talking to. (this is not good for learning Polish.)
2) If you pay for "transport" when you purchase furniture in Poland that literally only means transport. It does not mean that your furniture will be brought up to your house... just to the front yard. If you want it inside then its more $. And that still doesn't mean it will be put together for you... that would, of course, cost more money. Another reason I love the Promised land.
3) Garbage day is Friday. Its a new thing for our street. thank heaven! Before now Nate had to take it to work with him and dispose of it. bless the garbage man. I forgot today was garbage day though:(

3 comments:

Jo Dee said...

Thank you so much for keeping us all informed. If I do not comment, please know that I am still reading and loving staying connected with you every day! ~hugs~

Merilee said...

That's awesome that Nate got to baptize someone! I bet it reminded him so much of the mission. How fun that Bailey met two little girls! I'm so proud of her for being willing to play with new people! That's awesome!

Marja Liisa said...

I love the picture of them coming out of the water. You and your family will be a witness to what the gospel can bring into people's lives. What an experience!