Monday, August 22, 2011

day 6

Today Mr. Mecham was back at work. As soon as I got my cell phone registered so that I had phone numbers to call when I got lost, the kids and I went to lunch. We decided to get lost in Lublin! We found our way down town... luckily the kids reminded me that they are much smarter than I am and navigated us perfectly! Once down town we found parking... but it isn't free on weekdays. I was quickly reminded that I do not speak Polish. The nice man who was taking money for parking didn't speak English. He thought I was dutch... so he found somebody to translate for me in dutch. I don't speak Dutch... but appearantly I look Dutch. Luckily a man on the sidewalk translated in English to tell me that he would be willing to allow me to pay when I got back. So off we went. I immediately got on the phone with mr. Mecham who was hard at work. I reminded him I had no money and inquired where to go... which he started to tell me... we laughed pretty hard at how confused i must have looked! Not even 30 seconds after I hung up the phone, I turned around to see Elders Basha and Plumb walking toward me. I have NEVER enjoyed a familiar face so much in my life! What are the chances that I would run into somebody I know in downtown Lublin, right when I needed somebody most?! I call that tender mercys. It reminded me that we have a kind Heavenly Father who is mindful of EVERYTHING that is going on. The missionaries said they saw me from the McDonald's window and they thought I might need help. They took me to get money, then back to my car to pay for parking. I would have been in a world of hurt, probably terribly ripped off, and could've even had my car towed if they had not been there to translate and help me. Honestly... they were guardian angels today and I will forever be thankful for their goodness.
I asked the kids if they wanted something Polish to try for lunch... Cole said, "we havn't tried Subway!" Bailey reminded him that we eat Subway all the time at home. His reply, "we haven't had Polish Subway!" Funny kid. So Subway it was. And we actually found out that the spicey Italian meat tastes different here than it does in good old America.
After lunch we headed through down town on foot. We wanted to take it all in... and we had paid for 3 hours of parking! Plenty of time. It was warm outside. 81 degrees today. HEAT WAVE! At the end of down town is the Lublin castle. We had to see it!


The castle bridge looking back at downtown Lublin


Front of the Lublin castle



Side of the Lublin Castle taken from the park. It is huge!

Castle park arch entrance. The park was wide open with big huge trees everywhere! It was beautiful! And everything is soooo green.


The park toys were so old school. It was like taking a step back in time! The kids thought it was great because they haven't really seen those kind of park toys before! But I remember them from River Heights elementry school! An old metal merry go round. A teeter totter and a old swings. They did have a more modern climbing toy. But the kids were drawn to the old stuff! I laughed when mcKay quickly figured out that if he hopped off the teeter totter the other end would go down with a boom! And so he joyfully played with Bailey until he was at the bottom and then he bailed... leaving her to fall... and then he laughed and laughed. Gotta love brothers! The kids met some little boys from England and they were so happy to talk to somebody in English! I loved their little British accents. They were so blasted cute!


over looking downtown from the park. It is so pretty!


we got lost on the way home. Bailey and Mckay figured out how to work the navigation on my phone. I am having a hard time figuring out my gps so I used my phone navigation. We got home and in the house right before a black cloud moved in and it poured rain! Lightening would strike with immediate thunder! I thought it would come in my kitchen window! But it didn't last long. And then a big old rainbow appeared right out the front door. Again, a reminder of Heavenly Father's love for us. We were happy to be home.

Things I learned today:
1) water costs 1,50 unless you don't speak Polish and then its 2, 50.
2) my children are better at finding our way around than I am
3) I am going to love hauling my kids around and getting lost
4) I love the missionaries more than I realized... and to show my gratitude offered them an open invite to dinner. Which reminds me that I need to send them the menue for the week.
5) I got ripped off again... and I learned that I want to know Polish more today than yesterday and so Rosetta and I are getting ooober comfy starting tomorrow morning!

my internet connection was fixed today. My video phone is working beautifully if you would like to make a local call from the united states you may now do so. we have had to use Skype for a few days... and I couldn't be more thankful to have my phone back... It reminds me how bad I think Skype blows!

3 comments:

Marja Liisa said...

Thank you for posting everyday...I love reading it and I just showed the boys the pictures! Your house looks adorable on the outside and the scenery is amazing! Hope to come over there next summer!

cherryl said...

Becky, what?! Somehow I have missed the last blog posts of yours and I clicked on your blog today and see you guys have left the country! What an exciting adventure. Will you do a recap and just tell us how long you will be living abroad. Is it a long period, or just a short stay?? How exciting. I guess this means you are not coming to our high school girls cabin trip in september... :)

Merilee said...

You apparently are Dutch! I laughed so hard when I read that and I thought immediately of Gold Member from Austin Powers. Im glad your phone is up and working! I cant wait to call ya'll on it and see their cute little faces! Love ya! PS - The death camp looks so surreal...