Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 8


Today I paid for the lack of sleep last night. Mckay woke me up at 10! CRAZY! haven't done that in forever... I got up, cleaned the house (which isn't very dirty since we only have clothes to mess it up with!) and got ready for the day. Then 2 hours later Bailey got up. Yep... NOON! That is unlike her in every way! This sleep modification process is strange.
We had planned to finish our tour of the Majdanek... but the kids were ready for a break. They actually wanted to sit around and do not much of anything... and play with friends. Problem #1... They don't have friends yet... And so they played with each other and that was good enough for a lazy day around the Polish house.
I did go to the grocery store... It's a daily ritual! I planned to spend a lot of time there... and i did. I was able to see what is really there and pretend to read labels in Polish and decifer what the picture was! I left with a hefty cart full of goods to include a straightener with European plugs and a waffle iron. Breakfast for dinner tomorrow night.
Everyone stares at me. Not with a lustful look... but rather a disgusted look as to say, "why is she buying so much?" Nobody around here shops with food storage or emergency preparedness in mind at all! They even point! All I can say is that it is a good thing that I have a great self esteem... I would be in a world of hurt if I didn't. Seriously!
The missionaries joined us for dinner again tonight. We ate stirfry surprise... pleasantly surprised considering I grabbed stir fry packets with nice pictures on them and then had the missionaries tell me what they said and how to prepare. They came over to teach Mr. Mecham the baptismal prayer in Polish. Nate is baptizing Lukus in Polish on Saturday... in a lake. Pretty Cool!
Today I learned:
1) europeans don't fill their grocery carts... Most of them only need a carry basket for all their goods.
2) Kids need a break from the running a sight seeing... I didn't think that would ever happen.
3) My internet connection here stinks. They promised to come out tomorrow and get us a new modem. Hopefully!

2 comments:

Jo Dee said...

Thank heavens for those missionaries! I saw ours walking down the street today and thought of you and how grateful you are to have them in your life right now!

Merilee said...

There is nothing wrong with a cart full of food. It sounds exciting trying to decipher it all! I had a guy in Australia convince me to buy Vegemite at a grocery store. Swore it was the greatest thing ever. News-flash - It tastes like crack. The kind you see on plumbers. So, keep trying the fun stuff. You might get lucky!