Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 14 marks two weeks


Two weeks ago we embarked on our little journey to Poland. We had no idea what to expect. We were excited! We were sad. We were CLUELESS! We felt adventurous! And two weeks later we have a glimpse of what we are in for... and we are excited and sad and we feel so adventurous and sometimes CRAZY! Lots of laughing and sometimes homesick tears... but we know we are where we are supposed to be right now.
The Mecham's officially declare that we feel like we are on a mission in Poland. Everything is totally and most literally FOREIGN! The food, the amenities in our home, the roads, the language including the alphabet, the rules and laws, the smells (not to gross you out, but even our B.O.), the foilage, the toilet paper, the products we can purchase at the store, the customer service, the money, the weather, the history, the church buildings and so on. Things I didn't even think about are different. I recall my father (wise old owl) telling me that upon his return from his mission in Australia that he kissed the American soil. I always thought that was strange. Afterall, who wouldn't want to go to Australia? It is the place of my vacation dreams! I totally get it. Good old promised land... but until it isn't yours, you dont realize how good it is. The land of plenty. The land of opportunity. God Bless America. Take care of what you have!
Today we chilled around the house waiting for the tv man to come. Not to hook up television services but rather to hang our television on the wall. The landlords didn't want us to hang our pictures/ t.v. ourselves because they wanted the least amount of holes in their walls. Understandable... I am about ready to purchase a home here so that I don't have to have a landlord! I do love our Landlords, Emilia and Ernest. And I must admit that I enjoy not having to take care of my yard or any of the duties that come with being a home owner... One day I will miss that though. And hopefully before I get home and purchase another house.
The kids played with legos, wrestled until they nearly killed each other and played computer games before their scooter rides in the park. Summer Holiday officially ends on September 1 for the Polskis. And so we are enjoying another day of summer before we get into the groove!
A HUGE THANKS to all the peeps that called, fb and e-mailed yesterday and today. Whether you did so cuz you knew we were homesick or because you just wanted to, we thank you! Our spirits were lifted and we are ready to keep on going!

p.s. do I look Dutch? Somebody asked me again today if I was Dutch.

No comments: