Sunday, March 1, 2009

We have a social agenda...

I was quietly helping Mr. McKay tie his laces on the school sneakers and whispering "I love yous" and "school will be awesome today" in his ear when I noticed one little open eye peeping over at me from the bottom bunk ... And as he spoke I imagined his morning breath through that deep scratchy pillow voice, "mom, can I have a friend come over today?"
"Ummmm... well, it's 6:30 in the morning Mr. All the kids are still sleeping." (which is exactly why we were whispering...)
"then can we call Grandma?"

Cole has an agenda. It is something like this... wake up. eat breakfast. take the kids to school. call a friend. We've pretty much burned out anyone who lives within a block radius!

For his preschool Coley was to choose a goal to work towards. He chose to learn Grandma Chrissy's phone number. I thought, "oh, how cute".... and it was... but he had pre-meditated grand intentions! It goes something like this... if mom Say's "no" grandma usually says, "yes". So in his little mind, If Cole knew how to dial her up then he knew he would never experience disappointment again!!!

So like a good mom, I helped Coley reach his goal. He can turn on the phone and call grandma Chrissy without any help. He can also plan outings and luncheons with her without any discussion from me.... and if I say "no" a more acceptable answer is just a phone call away! Last week Granny was sick. Cole hounded her every day to come play.... and prayed for her to get better: "please help Grandma to get better so that she can take me to McDonald's and the park." I think Jesus is quite enjoying Cole right now!

As an infant Cole's wise father blessed him with the gift of a good sense of humor. Another prayer answered. If you'd like your child to enjoy that gift with us, please call before 8:00 a.m. If you wait until 9:00 a.m. we either already have a friend over or Grandma is on her way...

4 comments:

Senja said...

This is so awesome and funny. You have such a clever little boy - haha! :) I was kinda cracking up here reading it.

Pink Slippers said...

OMGosh--My eight year old is addicted to calling my Mom on my cell phone. Now I have to say...leave my phone alone. :) My Mom LOVES it!
Wendy

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

We know where he got his sense of humor!

The Cluffs said...

I love reading your blogs. They make me laugh!!!