Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I found this picture courtesy of the internet... It just looked good with my post...
Sometimes during prayer time I laugh. I know, I know.... it isn't reverent. But I'm going to justify it by saying this: If I were in a group conversation and somebody said something funny, I would laugh.... Today I write to remember. The wise old owl, Mrs. Smith, (she's not really old) told me to "write down what funny things your kids say so you don't forget them". In an effort to take the advice from somebody wiser than myself, here she goes.
Setting: bed time prayers... Coley's turn...
And the prayer began and was going quite well when I think he may have forgotten what time it was because he requested, "please bless this food"... and I opened up my eyes to see if he was paying attention. At the same moment he opened his eyes realizing that it wasn't dinner time, gave me a little grin, and then quickly shut his eyes and continued, "that it won't go moldy".... Good recovery! And then he even remembered to "bless the president's councilors".
Cole is getting quite good at blessing random folk. Last night it was "please bless the 12 apostles". No mention of the prophet.... I guess he feels sorry for them because they are too often forgotten.
But my own personal favorite was the report that my mother recently gave me about bedtime prayers... She was playing with the Mecham younglings while Nate and I were at a wedding reception. At bedtime Coley requested a little blessing to be over his parents "while they are at that BIG (emphasis on the word) Fat Greek Wedding". Mum still laughs when she talks about it.
I love bed time prayers.

10 comments:

Jo Dee said...

this is such a cute story. That kid of your is so adorable!

Michelle said...

I swear this is the best age for kid prayer- Jolie is very entertaining as well. Hard to keep a straight face and be the example of reverence when your child prays for some of the things they do. Im sure God understands.

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

Growing up after practically every prayer, my siblings and I would say, "So and So" had their eyes open!" My older brother still does that when he comes to visit. To get through a prayer without too much laughter is huge. Love kids prayers.

I love the moldy food recovery. That is so funny.

Pink Slippers said...

I love listening to my kiddos bedtime prayers. Every so often my hubby and I will glance at each other and smile.
Wendy

☂niki. said...

oh my...that is too hilarious/adorable!

oh, your kids are just so cute!

i remember when you guys brought me cookies and mckay left a message telling me that i had cookies on the bench out front and to "hurry and get them before the cats eat them."

hahahaha. love it!

...yes, it's true. and thank you for your sweet comment.

i will post details tomorrow(hopefully)

Gail said...

So precious! This time goes by way too fast! Enjoy, even if it means laughing a little:)

Ms. Young said...

Next time Cole is at my house at prayer time - he will be my first choice! I love him and the funny things he comes up with.

Senja said...

how cute!! :) and you know what, mikael and i need to be more reverent. he always tries to take away my glass or fork, etc. when i pray and i have to be alert! so there is always some foot wrestling or stealing involved.. :)

Lori Lumsden Smith said...

Becky Sue
You do have some of the cutest kidlets on the planet. They crack me up! Especially Coley. I love love love all of the little sounds that kid comes up with. That kind of talent will take him far in life. Thanks for all of your awesome support.
with love from,
The Wise 'Old' Owl

Carrie Brown said...

I just got caught up on your blog. You're hillarious! My personal favorites are the ketchup story and the friend before 8.
PS I'd vote for McKay!