Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A sweet little tale...


Jo Dee went to make a visit to the HAP HAP Happiest place on earth this week... and she graced me with an opportunity to care for three of her young ones. It was a solicited treat... A sincere request which was granted. I kept my kids home from school to play with the little ones today. They get along remarkably well. And so it has worked out beautifully!
The day went like this:
Wake up to kids playing joyfully. (after a quiet night, I might add.)... Feed kids breakfast. (they all ate well.) Bath. Dress. Begin home school assignments. (for Ms. happy Kate and Mr. Grant.)
Cole played cars with Rock and McKay kept the wii warm while waiting.
But there was a small problem.... Foot ball isn't a quiet sport... even on the wii. So McKay brought a little too much energy to the room for the moment. Cole and Rock were driving the cars feverishly along the hall walls and tile! The volume in the Mecham home was not exactly school like. So I simply requested that they (who were not doing school work) run along outside where those fabulous loud play noises belong so that the others could concentrate on their duties... and they did!
Kate finished her work quickly and happily joined the others. (everything for Kate is HAPPY!)
Mr. Grant plunged along and knocked his out in a timely manner as well.
But just before he finished little Rockwell knocked on the door.
"Mecham?" he called
(he addresses me "Mecham"... how is that for dreamy?!!!!) And since I can't resist such a call I tripped over myself to get to him. He was standing in the doorway with a disturbed look, awkward standing position, and wet spots in all the wrong places!
"Oops!", I said.
"Did you have an accident?" Knowing full well that there must be a grand explanation since this little guy hadn't even had one of these at my house in 3 days!
And then it was explained to me that since my request to "play outside so that the kids can get their work done" was interpreted as, "you may not come in this house until further notice." Mr. obedient couldn't hold it any longer. I admit, I took shame for this little accident considering the poor explanation of rules with my previous direction. I simply forgot how innocent and obedient little tiny people are. So we made quick work of changing clothes and cleaning off. And Rock joined back outside with the others all clean and new. Only to return moments later with a knock on the back door. Then realizing that it wasn't locked he opened it up and let himself in.
"Mecham?" he called,
"This is for you."
He handed me a flower. Lantanna... which I know he worked hard to find because we don't have lantanna in our yard and there is no way he can get over our back yard fence.
"Thank you for helping me." he graciously said.
I almost teared up for a moment. But I hugged him and told him how happy it made me instead. We hung it up on the fridge under a magnet to remind us how gratitude is so wonderful!
As Rockwell left to go back outside I watched with the biggest warm fuzzy in my heart for such a guy. And he had a little skip in his step too.
Then I remembered remarks President Robinson said to me earlier this week while attending a baptism for a mutual friend, "He must have the sweetest mother".
And it must be true. Because he was thoughtful and kind enough to show such sentiment... Undoubtedly, gratitude is a learned behavior... and he must have learned it somewhere.
A tale I hope to never forget.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

How sweet. Rockwell has a heart of gold.

Cami said...

what a cutie!

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

that was sweet :)

Amy said...

Oh what a sweet little man. He's a little heart warmer.