Saturday, October 17, 2009

The house is really quiet... leery like. The air conditioning turned off @ 71 degrees (nice!) and since it is awfully late the street outside is empty of traffic. A sound I don't hear too much. And the kids... they opted for a camp out in the back yard. Tents and all... You've gotta love a papa who will set up camp in the back yard... and join them! So I can hear things like the fridge running and the clock ticking.... and an occasional helicopter flying over head. Usually I'm sawing logs by now. But I had one last thing to say before I lay my weary body to rest for the night...
I awoke this morning to two of my favorite boys on either side of me... McKay on the right and Cole on the left. My other favorite had already slipped out to work for the day. I knew it was going to be a good day. I peeped over at McKay who was cozy... still dreaming and then to Cole. He was looking at the ceiling fan twirl with a mighty big smile on his face and beams shooting out of his dancing eyes. If I had a super power to see inside his mind I am certain it would have viewed a party of ideas that circulated that creative mind. I knew he was planning something fantastic! I smiled and without missing a beat he said, "the only way I can get the tigers to stop is to let them shoot holes in me". I erupted into laughter... "Where did you hear that?", I squeaked out... "'Kelly's heros', mom... it is a goody", he whispered back. I knew it was going to be a great day!
But as the day went on, and as some days do, two little buddies sometimes find something to disagree on... this time McKay thought it was inappropriate that Cole slapped him on the back really hard. Go figure?! Cole was quite upset because he didn't mean to... "I just didn't know my own strength." And in a moment when I was determined to be stern as to pound into this child's head that we do not hit (except when we are defending ourselves which he surely was not) ~ and I even had stern intonations and serious eyes ~ Cole said, "Why don't you stop with the negative waves." To which turned my mad facial expression to one of trying not to laugh and my serious eyes began dancing even though I tried to make them so serious like... So I put my hand over my face to hide it... and peeking through my fingers I saw Coley staring at me with that same smile he had first thing this morning... while patting his naked belly. "Cut it out buddy! I'm trying to be mad right now!" I exclaimed. And without missing a beat he replied, "why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change." And so it was that I busted out laughing and told him to hurry along and stop hitting his brother.... or he was in big bad trouble... (because that is serious you know!) And he tripped off happy as a clam... and he took me serious because he and McKay played all day long together without one more disagreement. And now they slumber together at a camp out with papa.
And so it is that I'm thinking I should watch this "Kelly's Heros" movie that is so influential in my young son's vernacular. Maybe I could learn a line or two... I hope he wakes his papa up with one of his liners in the morning... It will be a great day!

1 comment:

Jo Dee said...

sounds like I need to watch this movie so I can be on the inside of all the jokes.