Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Finishing off Wroclaw

This trip really wasn't forever long... I just did a killer job taking pictures to document it! We arrived Friday, toured it on Saturday and went home Sunday.



Here is the little story of Bailey and me...

On Saturday night after we had walked all day and well into the evening we stopped by the shopping plaza on the way home for pizza. Bailey was still looking for gnome charms for her charm bracelet so she wanted to check out the stores in the plaza but Nate and the boys were SOOOOO DONE! They opted out of shopping and took off for the apartment which was across the street. Actually, there was an alley leading to the apartment but the complex was easily viewed from the street.

We shopped for another 45 min. and then headed for home. We walked down the patio, crossed the street and as we passed the alley I had this great idea to tell Bailey to look up. She is never to look down while walking because she must be alert to what is going on around her. I was telling her to take note of everything going on around her. We noticed the curious group of young adult men gathered mysteriously next to the side walk, and another across the street in the alley entrance talking on his cell phone. I instructed Miss Bailey that alley's were not a good idea and so we opted for the sidewalk next to it which was lit much brighter. Unfortunately, it led us into a parking lot that was gated and our apartment was on the other side of the fence. So we turned to walk back out. We were briskly walking with intentions of getting home quickly. As we exited the parking lot and took a step into the alley I was a car coming up the street which a slowed down as if to turn. The driver looked at the man crossing the street who motioned towards Bailey and me. Then the man turned into the alley. We stopped. He looked directly into my face. We took one more step and then that ever so familiar voice of caution seemed to screem at Bailey and myself, "TURN BACK". The car pulled ahead of us into the alley and I before I could even direct Bay back to the shopping center she knew where to go. I said, "Bailey, I think we need to go back and call dad for a ride." Briskly we walked back to the shopping plaza. But before we could get inside we noticed one of the mysterious men who were gathered across from the alley was following us. We I called nate who picked up on the first ring. I told him to come get us and explained that I thought we were being followed. He assured me that I was and told me to sit tight inside the mall. Only minutes earlier Nate and the boys were laying on the couch telling stories when in the very middle of the story Nate had an impression to call me. He explained it to have been one that he rarely has but definately notices. He went out to the deck (which was facing the alley and could easily see everything that was going on in it) to make the phone call. While we waited for him to come, mysterious man walked around close to us. He walked in and out of the mall several times. His buddy in the car drove past and looked at us from the street while still sitting in his car. But we were safe inside.
While Bailey was having a panick attack, I felt completely safe. I was most thankful for the prompting voice which told me to "go back"... and for life lessons which had taught me to never question that ever so still small voice.
Even though I felt completely safe during that entire experience, when I think back upon it I get the chills. The thoughts that flood my head (after the fact) give me nightmares. Afterall, I was with my 12 year old daughter in an Easternblock European country... and I've heard that body organs are sold on the black market here! YIPES!

Anyway... One to remember... but the trip was not ruined... And the scare of that alley, the mysterious group of young adult men, and one very black staionwagon car whose driver I met eyes with were overpowered the very next day when our travels home took us through some fairytale lands:

Could this be any more picturesque? Driving out in the country in Poland is pretty cool. But driving out in the country on a freeway beats it! A real freeway, with farms and country homes lining its shoulder... Ahhhhhh.....

We still find the churches everywhere. Love them.

And who wouldn't hang this ditty right in their house? I loved this scene. I took it while traveling 150 kph down the road. That is skill!

And to top it off, McDonalds on both sides of the freeway. What could be better than that?!

And since our memories of Wroclaw are now two weeks old...

Today the children were home sick again. Bailey and Cole are better tonight while McKay has coughing, soar throat, sniffling, sneezing, aching and fevers. We are loving new bugs...

And tomorrow while America celebrates a day of Thanksgiving, we will not be preparing turkey and pies here. I do love my family but I don't have (1) enough pans to cook such a feast (2) enough room in my pants to accept the additional 5 lbs (3) the fridge space, though I could just put it out on the deck to keep cold (4) the desire to locate all the fixins in another language.
Call it what you want... the Mecham's are going out to dinner with the missionaries. I think I will make louisa's pumpkin bars though.

I am thankful... for my sweet family. All of them! In Poland, in Arizona, in Utah and in Washington state. I love them so much.

4 comments:

Jo Dee said...

What a story! I got a little choked up reading it. I am glad you are safe! Happy Thanksgiving to you guys! We sure miss you!

Merilee said...

Wow. Good story. There's nothing like a creeper in a foreign country to make your skin crawl. I'm always grateful for the still, small voice (or sometimes loud scream) that prompts us to the wisest course of action. Bailey will never forget that one :). Happy turkey day to you all! I wish we were going out to dinner... (sigh).

jessica mella said...

Wow! That is quite the adventure. My mom and I were just talking about how much we wish you could be here for Thanksgiving. We'll just have to make up for it when we see you again! ;)
Hugs and kisses!
-jessica

Louisa said...

Wowzers! Definitely one memory that won't be forgotten. So glad that we have that spirit with us to help protect us. You guys are an amazing family! I hope the pumpkin bars turned out ok. Love to you and hope that McKay is feeling better soon.