Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dzień Wszystkich Świętych



All Saints Day in Poland is a National Holiday! That means the Mr. Mecham got off work! But really he just worked from home. We were told that this holiday was as big as Christmas... almost... and I think it was! The stores were cluttered with candles for sale since the back to school supplies cleared the isles... Nearly 1 1/2 months! People came out of the woodworks to purchase candles and lovely flower arrangements. When talking about Polish classes and music lessons for the kids everyone put us off until "after the holidays". I was thinking Christmas while they were thinking about "Day of the Dead". It was a sight to behold! I can't give the most accurate explaination of this holiday. I have read a few things and I had it explained to me by several different people... As near as I can tell it is a holiday much like Memorial day (but bigger) that was adopted by the Catholics. It is to mock death and honor their ancestors. All of the cemetaries are amazing!


We met the missionaries, Andrew and Blanca and took Jasmine and Cody and we went to see this sight... and a sight to behold it was! It felt like Christmas lights! Except everyone was walking around somber like. It was quiet and PACKED house!



Elder Basha wished he had his scariest mask ever to hide and scare people while Blanca knew exactly what to do because she has celebrated this holiday her whole life.


It was a treat to see and we even purchased candles to put on the graves.... the kids looked for the onesie twosies in the cemetary who looked like they had no candles at all... and decorated their grave with a single candle... they were few and far between.


Sending a Happy Birthday to Uncle Loran! We sure love you! Next year at this time you will be a dad! WOOT WOOT! Have a great day!

2 comments:

Merilee said...

Man, I love foreign holidays! They really open your eyes to the world in which we live. We like to (as you know) spend holidays in other countries and so far, Mexican Christmas is my favorite. Nothing like a pina colada and parasites to make the perfect day! This holiday is beautiful - I request that when I die you all put candles on my headstone on this day. I will do the same for you :)

Marja Liisa said...

I would love to walk around the cemeteries at night in the glow of all the candles. My dad said that in Finland they put candles on the graves on Christmas Eve. I would like to start that tradition. It would be pretty in the snow. I am glad you experienced that holiday and tradition.