Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lov'n summer time

Changing seasons is exciting! like butterflies exciting for me. I love something about every season... But I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Summer! Today when I said this to a friend she stared at me in disbelief for a moment and then in a perplexed voice said, "are you being serious?" She couldn't tell since last week this same friend was the recipient of the "holy cow I am so darn busy that I think I'm going to die" phone call...
But truly, Before school got out I lied awake at night like a kid on Christmas eve planning the fun I would have with my toy... but in this case, I was imagining summer with a full schedule of all the things I love (which is nothing particular at all but rather all encompassing), and kids home all to myself.... (hehehe... the kids don't want to be all mine... they want their friends. but I pretend anyway... even if Bailey has spent all summer with Joslyn!)I present the beginning of my garden harvest. Don't these red beauties look... well... under watered and then over watered?! YIKES... but the flavor is incredible! So we just cut out the cracks, pull out the pepper and fork and DIG in! In my humble opinion, tomatoes are best in between two pieces of spelt bread with fresh cucumber and purple onion and a slice of Havarti to bring out its most exotic flavor... don't forget the mayo. Today we pulled one off the vine that is the size of my head. We've decided to give it a name and blessing.
I love that the sun shines longer hours! It wakes me up... and plays tricks on my dinner time and bed times. I love it! I do try to maintain a bed time for children who do well with sleep... especially after a long hard day at play, however, when slumber doesn't come quickly, it is sooooooo easy to pull out the ice cream and newspaper funnies and indulge in late night conversation with the little ones. They are so enjoyable when they think they are getting to do the unthinkable (stay up with mom and dad)! And now that I've said that out loud, no wonder they don't like going to bed... they think we sit up eating ice cream every night! hmmmm.


having time to bake treats and share with friends is always a favorite! We love friends. I LOVE having a gajillion over at once and listening to them play and laugh and watch them raid the freezer for Popsicles. In fact, my rule "eat as many Popsicles as you'd like. It's hot and they cool you off", quickly changed after the kids went through 4 boxes in one Saturday. So now I stock the freezer with one request, "please ask before you take". That way I keep my finger on the pulse of Popsicle consumption and in so doing save myself dollars at the grocers and years of fighting juvenile diabetes.... (what? where did that come in?) Somehow the friends always end up wet from the garden hose and my kids have on swim suits. Gotta love summer.



summer isn't summer without HAWSOME toes.

And swim team and sleeping late and waking up early and weeding the garden and harvesting the veg. And giggles and tans and wrinkled skin in the pool and more friends and feeding the neighborhood and dinner made fresh from the fridge... forget the oven... and outings and shorts and flip flops and then... finally... passing out in cold sheets while dozing off to smells of sun tan lotion and the hum of air conditioning.
But the very best part... NO SCHOOL!
Can't get enough!
I LOVE SUMMER.





4 comments:

Jo Dee said...

Thanks for the reminder that I actually do love summer. I guess I have been complaining a bit too much and have forgotten all the good. I love the no schedule aspect of summer but as of late some how a schedule has crept in...I guess that's why I am complaining.

HaHa said...

I love summer, too! I'm completely exhausted by the end of the day - but playing with the kids and enjoying summer adventures is sooooo fun!

Michelle said...

Screw the clean house!!!! It's a free for all- all day, everyday. This is the first summer we have not scheduled a bunch of activities and, somehow we are still lovin' it.
The kids are in the pool so much, I think they have grown gills.

sambonez7 said...

Thanks for having a fun house that my kids LOVE to come and play and that your loving everything invites them to do so!
This summer has indeed been an adventure.