Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I love you come rain or shine

Truth is... Cole inherited redish hair from me. And I can't lie any longer, as here is absolute proof of my redness.... But my hair is quite blond at the same time... depending on where the sun hits it and how much bleach I've recently dumped on it! It is ever changing in color. But until I dug these photo memories out, I had forgotten how red my hair used to be.

Anywhoooo... that is not what this little postage is about because I just celebrated a dozen blissful and sometimes blustery years with my one twoo love. It's true. On Flag day.


And I didn't write about it on that exact anniversary because I was celebrating!


I think Mr. Mecham was my soul mate in the heavens before this earth. There were just too many little things that matched us up perfectly to make me believe other wise.


I share this story so I never forget it. And besides I believe in miracles and there is reason.


From the time that I dressed up in my princess dresses and pretended the white dish cloths were the veil that draped my wedding head... from the time I was swooned by the husband that I dreamed of while talking to Mr. "invisible" but knowing someday that empty space would be filled... from the time that I played house and pretend with dolls and imaginary friends... until that time that it all became real... I always wanted to be married in the Manti, Ut temple. That same temple that sits on the ground that was dedicated for it's building centuries earlier by Moroni himself. It stood as the castle of dreams in my mind. And I was determined to get there. I even carried a picture of it in my scriptures for the 20 years before I wed and still do today.


And in that same vision that I had created for "the perfect" wedding celebration, I saw a garden reception and beautiful flowers everywhere!


And so I planned for such a day.


After our engagement Nate's father instructed him that "this is the bride's day" therefore, Nate was to let the bride decide where we would seal our union... even though Nathan had his heart set on one special place that his own parents, grandparents and most of his siblings had wed, and even though he had fond memories of visiting and playing where his grandparents had served a mission years ago... and a dream to take his bride to that very place, (the same place his progenitors had wed) he took the advise of that wise old dad of his. He surrendered the idea of "where" and made peace that it was eternal. Then he asked the question... "what temple would you like to be married in?" and without skipping a beat I declared, "Manti". And at that moment I couldn't have known the joy in his heart since I was naive to the for mentioned truth regarding his own desires. And I would have never known that Manti was his dream too since he was determined to let this be "the bride's day". But that captivating smile absolutely spoke to my heart that he dreamed a dream of sealing our nuptials in that very place.


It was magical.


The weeks leading up to our union were wet and cold outside. I had reserved a beautiful garden to greet our friends in celebration on the evening of our wedding. I was instructed to "reserve the church next door in case of inclimate weather". But I knew what I wanted and a church gymnasium didn't have a place in my plans. So I declined the suggestion. And I had 1,000 wedding invites made up that didn't have that church address on it at all.

Well... the week of matrimony approached. It was unusually rainy. But I was certain that I still was having a garden wedding... outside... in a garden! And so I did not stress, though my poor mother must have lost sleep over the whole thing. After all, the forecast was "rainy through the weekend".

The eve of my marriage arrived. It was rainy. We enjoyed a lovely dinner (inside) hosted by the Mechams. The food was incredible. And after departing to our separate homes one last night, I realized that it was raining. So I fell to my knees. I explained the whole dream I dreamed the plans I had made and reminded the all powerful and kind God of Heaven that I was being sealed to my husband in the morning at 11:00 in Manti, Ut and then I asked a hugemungous favor. One I don't know if I will ever be worthy of. But I was ever so desperate. And so I asked for an evening that wouldn't be rainy because I really wanted my garden reception. And then I even more boldly (but humble enough to realize that I needed help.. like really bad...) requested that I know by a sign in the sky come morning. And I couldn't have been more specific than when I asked, "please let me know by a blue, cloudless sky so that I can enjoy the day". And if I didn't see it in the morning, I would know that it was time to reserve the gymnasium. And then climbed into bed and closed my eyes.

I was awaken the next morning by the song of my father who was singing about "blue skys shining on me". I sat up smiling... but I had to see for myself if it was true. So I dashed up the stairs and flung open the door to the most lovely bluest blue sky I had ever seen. There was not even one puffy white cloud anywhere in sight. My heart leaped. My eyes overflowed. I was most grateful. I had asked for and had seen a miracle. And at that moment I decided that I would live the rest of my life knowing for certainty that prayer changes things and that it is my life line to the heavens.

As the day went on the wind picked up. In fact, it was quite blustery in Sanpete county when we came out of the temple as Mr. and Mrs. Mecham for pictures. The sky had turned grey. As the day went on rain clouds landed hard and rain ripped out of sky like nobodies business! Seriously! My mother must have questioned me a gajillion times. We had invited 1,000 people to this event and it was pouring rain! So Nate and I drove to the garden with our windshield wipers on full speed. In my mind I knew what I saw that morning. More importantly, in my heart I knew what I felt. And I believed in the Almighty more that day than I ever have in my life. We parked in the church parking lot... the one that I never reserved... and when we turned off the car the rain stopped. So we hopped out and walked into the garden(without an umbrella) where the owner sat bright eyed. She announced that the rain had stopped an hour earlier in her yard but that it was raining all around her. Funny thing to say! When we looked up the sky was blue. So we got ready and everyone arrived. And wouldn't you know, that blue sky was like a bubble over that garden for the entire evening. And wouldn't you know that it was so amazing that it stole "the bride's day"! There were hundreds of people that walked through and said, "it is raining everywhere but in this back yard"... And I would smile and reply, "God is good".

And God is good... because a dozen years ago he not only stopped the rain from ruining my garden reception, He also answered my prayers and dreams of an eternal companion...

who I look forward to walking another dozen + years with and whom I love...

Come rain or shine.

8 comments:

Alli said...

becky this is so sweet! You have such a way with words and it gives me goosebumps! I am so happy you found your eternal companion and you guys could make such beautiful babies! Thats another sign you were meant to be!

Alison said...

Congrats on a marriage made in heaven, beautiful children and a story that will surely be passed down through the generations. Loved it!

Michelle said...

congratulations on 12 wonderful years. You deserve all the happiness in the world.

Senja said...

Becca, that was so beautifully written. Reading it here at work it brought little tears in my eyes. What a great story and testimony :) Congrats on 12 years and for still being so grateful and happy about it :)

E and T Macdonald said...

Becky--
I love reading your blog, you are funny and so expressive! What a great story of faith to pass on to your kids. Congrats on a dozen years! Eric and I celebrated 11 last month..... CRAZY how time flies!!

Blake & Melissa said...

Love it, Becky! Happy belated anniversary! I am so incredibly jealous...I wanted to get married in the Manti temple since I was little bitty, but that just didn't happen. :)

Kaye said...

Happy Anniversary, you brought tears to my eyes!

Gail said...

What a beautiful testimony of prayer and what a great story! I love reading your amazing words...no one tells a story better than you:). Here's to many more happy years!