Thursday, June 11, 2009

eating more carrots around here...

We decided to take advantage of great vision insurance last week... and besides, little McKay was struggling to put his mighty reading skills to use with poor sight. So off we went to the optometrist. I have freakish dreams about that machine that blows air into your eyeball. My eyes water just thinking about it. But since my glasses aren't working for me any more, I decided I'd get my eyes checked too. Now don't laugh... I see great! But I've worn glasses since I was 14. Well... kinda! I wore them out of great necessity to begin with. Then with each pregnancy my sight got better and better and better until just after Cole was born and my eyes were just off -1.
Now here is the kicker...
So I believed that at night when I want to stay up super late reading big huge books with little tiny writing... and in those times when my bod has checked into the twilight zone but my eye lids aren't yet closed, but the optic nerve has absolutely gone to bed... at that moment my eyes seem a little lazy like. So my interpretation of that was that the prescription had changed again. After all, who's eyes don't want to collect reading material all hours of the night? That couldn't have been the issue...
It made sense...
After explaining this to Doc. eyes he shook his head and said, "I don't have a prescription for that. Your eyes have 20/20 vision. Some how they've completely corrected themselves. I suggest you go to bed when they are tired."
And before I could completely consume all of the info that was shot my direction, I realized that Doc. eyes just told me I have 20/20 vision. My carrot consumption has paid off! (now I just have to get my hind parts back to a normal size!)
It wasn't really until later that night when I pulled out a big ol' book that the rest of the conversation sunk in. He might think I'm a little dingy?! But who cares?? ... I don't have to see him again any way!

McKay on the other hand landed himself a different sort of diagnosis. It came with a promise that "he will wear glasses the rest of his life". It's a darn good thing he's so good looken'. And I don't know that I believe he'll actually wear them forever anyway! After all, I am his mother and we all now know the history of my 20 year clear vision detour. But if not, then one cutie little man will be re-inventing "cool" with glasses for years to come!

Regardless... we are eating more carrots around here.


3 comments:

Blake & Melissa said...

Man, Becky, I wish my eyes had improved with each kid--I swear mine got worse. Thanks a lot kids!

Love McKay's glasses!! So stinking cute!

Reminds me...Conor needs new glasses...:)

Michelle said...

He looks adorable! As always. He is bringin' glasses wearin' back

Pink Slippers said...

He is so cute with those glasses. In the meantime start whipping up those carrot juice drinks.
Wendy