Wednesday, June 3, 2009

birthday greetings again...

I love birthdays! There is a certain "magic" that I feel upon the rising of the celebration of one's mortal life. Truly, when you think of the significance of birth... life... it is pretty cool indeed!
Today I reflect on the short years I've known Linda June who happens to be the mother of my very favorite person on the planet... My Nate. Today is that magical day that her mother, Violet Robbins Kirkham, gifted the world with a little tiny lady... and by doing so changed the world in mighty ways.
I vividly recall the moment I met Mrs. Mecham. It was my second date with my (now) husband. We were going to see "America Sings" (a Glenn Miller tribute) at the Ellen Eccles theater. We were to meet she and the Mr. at their hotel and they would then indulge us at the infamous Maddox restaurant, followed by the show. I have to admit, I was just excited to eat at the Maddox! As we pulled into the hotel parking lot the Mr. appeared with a petite classy little muffin on his arm. He looking like Daddy Warbucks and she was the perfect match... I started to get nervous! We all like to laugh now, knowing that Linda is a self proclaimed "farmer". But she cleans up like nobodies business... and she always looks good!!!
I have learned a lot of things over the years from a second mother.
1) feeding your body good food is important. And if you don't believe me, you should have a conversation with Linda June. She is THE gooroo of healthy eating! In fact, eating dinner at her house could make you feel 10 years younger. When the meal is complete two things happen: (1) your inner parts begin celebrating~ Vital organs become happy. and (2) digestion happens!
2) If you want to know somebody pure, you should call 1-800-LINDA. By pure, I mean seriously... the woman ALWAYS wants to do the right thing.
3) being fair actually still matters to some people. If Nathan gets a spatula from the pampered chef then so does Merilee, Matthew, David, Martta and Marjia. She is mightily fair!
4) There are those that taught their children to work and then there are those that TAUGHT THEIR CHILDREN TO WORK. She is the later. And she did so by her example.
5) My husband had a bigger trusso than I did. That is a tribute to his mother. Being determined to give just enough without spoiling too much, Linda made sure that the "needs" of the kitchen were met for all. (This ties into #3. The two go hand in hand... ) So when Merilee got a set of killer pans for Christmas, so did Nate. Which was cool for me because I didn't even know him at the time and his mother was purchasing me Christmas gifts! And I love them and still use them today!
6) Over the years I can count on certain things to come through. A lovely gift and reminder of affection to me and my family on every holiday. Around Easter we get plastic eggs in the mail. Valentines presents... well, valentines! Birthdays, Christmas, Mother's and Father's day and Halloween. Grandma and Grandpa Mecham always remembers us.
7) genetically, the woman passed along some fine d.n.a. proclaiming "youthful"! She will look "forever young" I think. My children will thank her for generations! Bless you dear mother!
8) I hesitated for a brief moment to put this in, but then realized that not only does the birthday girl have a great sense of humor, but it is essential to solving the mysteries of such a profound individual... Linda June Kirkham knows how to walk very fast. Why would I need to know this? The reason I need to know this is because at 2:00 a.m. when she is putting the final load of laundry in, polishing off the kitchen cabinets, drying the last salad bowl, shining the mirror in the restroom, cleansing her impeccable skin, ironing the next days shirts, pulling another weed, and straightening the hallway rugs, she retires for what is left of the night. And at that time I am usually sawing logs... so when she walks really fast it isn't always really soft... And hallways are NEVER forgiving at that hour... which means that if you're asleep, it can toss extreme amounts of irrational thought into ones mind... typically to do with house invasions, earthquakes and cars driving through the front room. However, they fade upon arrival of one lovely lady who still softens those toes as she passes quietly by the door... making her...
9) very thoughtful. Concerned. and passionate about the things that she believes and those whom she loves.

So for those reasons and a gajillion more, I am grateful for the opportunity to know and love this lovely lady who bore me the greatest gift life offers.

To my dear mother- in- law, Linda June,
Your sacrifices have never gone un noticed. Your hearts desire serves you well. I thank you for the many kindnesses you extend in my direction.
On this day my wish for you is that your remodel dreams on the inside of your house will somehow match the beautiful garden of Eden that decorates the outside! Because I think you deserve to finally fall in love with that place you call home. And not only that, I wish for you a surrounding of family and friends that make you believe that no matter where you are we love you and respect you as the one who gave mortal life to 6 beautiful and most healthy children who touch our lives daily. I am ever indebted.
Happiest Happy Birthday.
Much love,
Becky

4 comments:

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

Sounds like a special lady! Sweet sweet post!

Barbie said...

I am speechless. Can you please tribute me when I die?

Merilee said...

OK - that made me laugh through my tears!! You are the sweetest - thank you for loving my mom for who she is. Thank you for your kind words to her. You will never know how much that means to me. Love you girl!!

Kerrilyn said...

I hope you don't mind me making a comment on your blog. I saw your link from Marjia's blog and decided to check up on Nate. What a darling family he has. I am Kerrilyn and I pretty much grew up at the Mecham's home. I was/am privileged to be Marjia's BFF. Your Happy Birthday to Linda made me smile....no, actually it made me laugh. It brought back so many memories that make me chuckle.
She is one amazing 'little' lady. I have never met anyone with quite so amazing skin. TO DIE FOR!!!
Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LINDA!!!