Thursday, April 16, 2009

wedobirthdaysinapril.com

Here is a good reason to celebrate your Thursday... It is McKay's 8th birthday! And he is something to remember, for sure!
Just before I graced this beautiful child with life, Sister Germaine inquired as to the gender of my gestating little one and with the news she excitedly proclaimed something that I will never forget; "Girls are wonderful... but Boys melt their mom's hearts." And to that I was thrilled because I was having a hard time imagining ever loving one so much as I loved my Bailey.
On April 16th (the day after Easter dinner fit for a KINGdom... FREE ADVISE: Don't do that.), Mr. McKay decided he would take his turn on earth. Never mind that he had taken an extra 1 and 1/2 weeks (still bitter a little) past due date to finalize that decision, once he was coming, HE WAS COMING! And only 1/2 hour post check in (nurses in typical calm fashion claiming that "she's too happy to be in labor" while husb is locating punch and cookie counter to set up house during delivery) McKay joined mortality... and changed my world again... and melted my heart.
Weighing in exactly 2 lbs bigger than his petite sister, with a perfectly shaped round head full of dark hair and the most kissable baby lips I've ever smooched, my heart dripped like a Popsicle in July ~ overflowing~ and I began an instantaneous wrapping of myself around his tiny perfect pinkie finger.
At the time of his birth, we had recently moved to AZ from TX and we were finding shelter in my parents home while searching for our own place. This created the perfect environment for free hands always willing and wanting to hold and cuddle the little man.... and not much time went past where he wasn't enjoying just that... thus giving him opportunity to snuggle up to anyone and everyone.
The theory that you can spoil a child by holding them too much is HOG WASH! Tried and true at our house, holding your little ones makes them more loving... and Mr. loving is my McKay.

Everywhere we went people oooed and awwwwwed over his sweet little face... and when all the little old people (who believe they earned their "right" to touch baby hands and kiss their itsy toes even though they were hacking who knows what up behind those dentures) at the grocery story gooed at him he would smile ever so shy and coo right back. It was quite impressive. McKay acquired the genetics of articulation at an extremely young age. So as a toddler when those same gutsy people baby talked to him, they were quite surprised by his clear enunciation and rather extensive vocabulary. Thus the beginning of McKay's joy of shocking people with his clever little mind.






When Mr. McKay was learning to walk he seemed to be a little bull legged. Dr. Nicolson (who was so amazing he can never be replaced) Calmed our fears and promised that the best athletes were and are bull legged. I could have sworn that he was talking about the NFR, but like everything else Doc said, it has shown true for McKay. He is a natural athlete and loves to play... not unlike any other boy... but play hard the same! And we sure love to watch him.



This is hardly an explanation of even the highlights of McKay. He is kind. And kind hearted. It comes easy for him. He is genuinely concerned for others. In fact, I didn't think I'd ever be able to say that I know another child to care so much as I believe McKay does until Ms. Joslyn (Bailey's friend) came over a little more. I think it must be a gift. And aren't we glad that everyone has their own.
So... today on McKay's birthday I list 10 things (other than those already noted) that make McKay irresistible to me:
1) He is a "mini-me" of his father. THROUGH AND THROUGH! (although Nate claims that he was much more mischievous than McKay ever hoped to be)
2) McKay never sits back and waits for opportunity to come to him... he seeks it out.
3) He is smart but never flaunts it. In fact, he even will play dumb to let others feel smart too.
4) McKay is incredibly complimentary in our home.
5) He makes it a point to hug me and his dad everyday and tell us he loves us. Sometimes he randomly hops up from a movie or game or even playing outside just to come tell us that he loves us.
6) McKay plays hard. He works hard. But he doesn't care much for sleep. I think it's because he doesn't want to miss out on an opportunity to play or learn something new.
7) He is SOOOO determined. Last year in 1st grade he did well in every subject except phonograms. They absolutely did not make sense to him. He went to tutoring. We practiced at home. His teacher decided that since he read well above grade level that is was going to be okay and opted to not even grade him because she didn't want the letter F on his report card to discourage him! YIKES! But McKay forged on... trying and failing and trying... little by little he memorized EVERY single phonogram by the last day of school. And to our astonishment, he has never forgotten one nor how to use them. Determined? I think so. Ending the 2nd grade year, McKay is yet to miss one on his phonogram test.
8) He has a great sense of humor. Truthfully, we didn't see it until the past year... and we are so happy that is shines!
9) McKay thinks through everything before he tries it... or buys it!
10) He can be naughty. What? I love that? It's true. Everyone deserves to have somebody heroic in their life. Somebody that sets a standard for them. McKay is one of those people for me. How I lucked out to have him in my home? I don't know. He may be young and small, but he is mighty. And so in my mind a little naughty keeps things real. So I like that McKay is sometimes naughty!
McKay,
Today in honor of 8 years... 8 birthdays... Your life... I have written to remind me and you a fraction of the reasons why the past 8 years have been so amazing. Of those 8 years you have been a major contributor to my joy.
I realize that you came pre-wired and that all the special things about you were yours before you got here... they are not necessarily because of your family on earth... but I thank you for sharing with us.
Thank you. Thank you for choosing our family. For that, I will ever be grateful. You have changed my life and melted my heart...
I am forever wrapped around that itsy bitsy ever growing pinkie finger...
Happiest 8th birthday. Make it the best yet!
I love you a googol,
Mom



3 comments:

Alli said...

Becky this is too sweet. You have me in tears. Mckay is seriously one of the cutest boys I have ever layed eyes on! I had the pleasure of having him in my primary class and let me tell you he blew me away!! At 5 years old he could tell me the whole joseph smith story. I was so impressed! I tell sheldon all the time I want my easton boy to be like your mckay. He really is amazing and we need more spirits like him in this crazy world. Great things are in store for this sweet boy I just know it! I love your sweet family and I am so glad I know you guys!!

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

Beautiful post! McKay is lucky to have such an amazing Mom. He is one handsome boy!

Happy 8th!

Katie said...

He is the cutest kid ever! He wins the most adorable toddler ever award! Happy Birthday McKay!