Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How do I love you... let me count the ways

It's amazing what a pair of running sneakers and an hour on the tread mill at the gym will do for you! I typically do not love running in the gym. In fact, I don't like it at all. But today I was there because I snoozed right on through my morning run and since it was later in the day, Cole went with me. He played with his friends in the day care... (which if we have to put it on record, I don't love... but he was excited to go with his friends and so we did). At the gym there is a personal t.v. on every tread mill... and since I can't stand watching daytime television (no offense and I love many people that enjoy a good morning show) I turned my t.v. to channel 101. That is the station that shows the daycare center. Then I put my ear plugs in and tuned my i-pod in to mo-tab! and cranked up the speed!

As I ran I watched little Coley's every move on television and I had an epiphany...

I could see his every move right in front of me... but I couldn't do much about it, even if I wanted to... so I just watched and ran. As I did I felt lonely when he was standing by himself seeming friendless. I felt happy when he began twirling around as if he danced in the rain. I was excited to see him running around and playing... it added mileage to my run! I felt proud when he courageously asked the daycare attendant for a piece of paper to color on. He was being so independent! It was so fun to see Cole be "Mr. Cool Breeze" with his friend Erika.... They hang out like teenagers! I felt joy when he helped a little child get up who had fallen. I worried that if I turned my head I might miss a second of his time in day care! After all, I couldn't get to him fast enough if he fell... he was clear up stairs! In my heart I prayed for his safety while I was running (downstairs). In that moment, I loved him something fierce! I even became extremely interested in the day care providers who were taking care of my son. I saw them pick up and cuddle a small baby. I saw one assist Cole in getting his art supplies. I watched another take a hug from a little boy. And I was grateful for their kindness.

Then... Like a ton of bricks I realized that I was feeling a meager portion of the unconditional love that our Heavenly Father has for his children.... and I came to further realize that He trusts us with His children. It was engraved deeper into my soul that I have a responsibility to Him to help raise His children during their time away from His presence... and I felt invigorated to do so better. I envisioned Him watching over us... like I watched Cole on channel 101... knowing not only everything that Mr. Cole did, but also everything that his care provider offered. I believe that our Heavenly Father entrusted me with many of the feelings that He feels every day while He is presiding over us.

And so I share with you... I love my little people... they are a gift.

It was a good run.

10 comments:

Jo Dee said...

you sure have great perspective! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love it when I have quite moments to reflect on life.

Barbie said...

Only general authorities and women on general boards have these kind of deep thoughts while doing every day things. I will look forward to watching you in General Conference.

Michelle said...

No wonder I never have insightful experiences such as these... I cannot ever recall climbing on a treadmill. As a matter of face, in my world, they don't even exist. I admire you deeply for running. I admire you even more for calling it good.

Kaye said...

Becky, you are such a beautiful person, inside and out! You inspire me to be better spiritually, and physically! Keep Running!

Nichols Family said...

Great insight Becky. Soooo great.

I used to watch the Child Care channel at my old gym. I saw my kids being naughty a lot...so then I started watching What Not To Wear instead.

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

Super Mom I tell you! I loved this post. It makes me want to be a better Mom. Thx!

Amy said...

Becky you are such an amazing person. I love your outlook on life. We miss you guys TONS! Can't wait to see you this summer sometime.

Full House said...

Thank you for sharing that.

He truly is aware of each and everyone of us, isn't He. What a simple reminder you given and what a neat experience.

Good Momma, you. Good reminder of the committment we've made to our children (who are in fact on loan to us) to help them through. What a responsibility we have.

Ms. Young said...

Oh Coley Bear....how I love you too! You are the BOMB!

Gail said...

That is a GREAT analogy about how Heavenly Father must feel about us. You are so insightful and obviously in tune! What a cool way to make something so unpleasant become inspirational! (and of course, so well written!) Love you!