Thursday, February 12, 2009

Completely technologically Clueless

Dear Abby,
I really felt as though I was completely "up" on modern day technology! I mean WOWZERS!!! I got a cell phone two summers ago (so that while I was in Utah vacationing for 6 weeks I could communicate with Mi Amore). And it is quite impressive, if I do say so myself, how I move around like a ball room dancer in my google account! Then this past year I even became familiar with blogs!... (prior to "I read NIE" I thought blogs were a great place to find a recipe!) and then I even learned how to post on them... and how to add a picture! I'm feeling pretty cool!
Recently, however, I have taken quite a bit of bullying from the more technologically savvy younger crowd about how I don't know how to text on my phone. And when they started talky talky about face book... well... That is when I checked into foreign territory all together! But nothing can be foreign forever...
As I skipped around in my g-mail last night I opened one from my lovely youngest sister (T-bird) who was apparently inviting me to be a guest on her face book. (does that make sense?) And I make it a point to never say no to an invite from the baby of my family. (We Birds flock over the wee ones like they never aged past 6) And so I went about my way following directions on how to sign up on face book so that I could be T-bird's friend. I'm pretty sure I signed up! However, I still don't think that I accepted to be her friend. But more fascinating than the fact that I can't figure out how to say "yes, I'll be your friend on face book" this afternoon when I opened up my comfy little g-mail account I had 62 Face book emails waiting for me to read! I think it must have something to do with me clicking on several names of people I know when I signed up?? But I don't know what the heck to do about it now! In fact, I've been laughing about it since... I invited everyone I know, love, hate, appropriate or inappropriate to be "my friend" on face book... Anyone that the computer asked if I knew I clicked! but poor T-bird... I'm still not "her friend". What do I do now?
Signed,
Completely Technologically Clueless

10 comments:

Full House said...

Oh crap, does that mean half the people who have invited me to be their friend on Facebook did it on accident?

Good luck and have fun with your new Facebook account.

Byron said...

Ha, facebook is for losers! (I act like I hate it so I can fight the urge to join and waste more time on the computer. I tell byron to live in the now and NOT back in high school. And then I read everything on his account!) Good luck with it all. See you on FB, I'm sure!

K, I love your blog, you are so FUNNY! When we move back I have to see you at least once a week because you make me laugh, hard!

Katie said...

That is hilarious! We need to sit down together...soon! And just a little fyi, facebook is ONE word. You have to at least get that right! Haha! I love you Becky! How'd I get so lucky to have you as a friend!?!

Jo Dee said...

just think of the possibilities you can now facebook message your young woman and remind them of activities! It's better than a blog because people can leave you random messages instead of just commenting on your post. So...if you need help figuring it all out just call me. I am mire than happy to help you, and soon you will be as addicted as the rest of us!

Amy said...

You seriously crack me up!!! I love it! It is addicting. It's BAD!! Facebook that is.
Yup,Rob was told when we lived down there he need his tonsils out. He's been dodging it FOR years. Finally it just got worse. He was SO chicken. It's been painful,but he keeps saying it's worth it. Miss you guys!

Kaye said...

HILARIOUS!! I just was "invited" to FACEBOOK and after several attempts finally I got on. One of the invites were from Jessica, my oldest, and I went into this lengthy---what the crap? Facebook sucks! Why don't you just Blog like the rest of the world! She told me to "get a clue and step into the 21st century" Anyway, I'm feeling your pain!!

Blake & Melissa said...

You sound just like me Becky! I was surprised to find that my aunt is on facebook rofl!!

I am still totally clueless to most of the inner workings of facebook, but know enough to just squeak by. :)

☂niki. said...

i'm clueless when it comes to facebook also. and i have no desire to learn. how do people have time for a blog and facebook?? actually i'm pretty sure i could find the time...and that's the problem.

Gail said...

I'm just as clueless as you in this area. I got an email to check out my friends blog and by accepting, I had created my own page! Chelsea asked me why I didn't do anything with my page and I said, "what page"?, before I knew it I had a bunch of friends but the great thing about FB is 4 of my old high school friends from CA found me! I also love the Seinfeld trivia..just another great time sucker:). Good luck...you'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Jen Harvey (Brenner) said...

hahaha i love your "my butt looks big" story! That sounds like something that would happen to Debbie to haha! I am so proud of you, way to let your light so shine!!!!