Saturday, June 4, 2011

Man of the house



It went down like this:
Last night we were preparing Nate "the great" to leave on the first leg of our European excursion. Upon my scan of the front yard I realized that it was not mowed... I told McKay that he was going to be the man of the house and so he would be in charge of mowing after pops left. And though I was half way joking, because like what mum sends her 10 year old out to do all the manly duties of the father... But McKay let it seep in... While I forgot about it.

This morning we took Old papa Nate to that airport along with 3 oversized suit cases full of provisions for the next 18 months... And we quickly dropped him at the curb with a smooch and hugs and drove away. Upon our return back to the homestead we all quickly found ourselves crawling back into our cozy and cool sheets. And next thing I know this is what happened...

I woke up to the lawn mower moving across the yard. I looked at the clock in time to see that I had waaaaaay over slept and then I peeped out my blinds to see the "man of the house" pulling the lawn mower over the yard.

Later, whence he came in, and after I smooched his face off, I asked Mr. McKay why did he do such a nice thing and he told me, "I wanted to get a start on the lawn before it got too hot." He did the far side by the street today and said he would work on the rest throughout the rest of the week. And then I realized... I am in good hands!

Mr. Mecham may be thousands of miles away, but the Man of the house is taking good care of things over here.

Sure love that little man!

2 comments:

Jo Dee said...

He is the cutest kid ever!

Merilee said...

Holy crap that's the sweetest thing ever. He's a great kid. When he gets done, send him on up.