Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happy Anniversary Baby!


June 14, on Flag day, Mr. Mecham and I were married in the Manti, UT, (Sanpete County) LDS temple. It was a lovely day, indeed. The photographer forgot to show up (because dad had pre-paid him) but other than that there wasn't even a glitch! And besides, everyone had a camera anyway so we had tons and tons of pictures!
14 years later here we are... still celebrating that beautiful day! Except we are happier today than we were nearly a decade and a half ago... because we've had time to figure out how much we actually really do like each other. And I must say, I wouldn't like to live another day without Mr. Mecham. I hope we never have to find out what that is like.
This year we do not celebrate in much style... Although the ever romantic Mr. Mecham did call in a special order clear from Poland to have Sugar Mama's deliver a little treat. And he promised me we would have a real celebration... perhaps in Paris or Prague to celebrate our union. And then... he sent a love not from Europe. And though I did edit it a little bit, I am going to share the romantic side or Mr. Mecham... because it makes me so happy to read it.

Rebecca Suzanne,

First of all, you may have received my custom-ordered 'magic' anniversary gift. I mean, seriously....only once in a lifetime do you celebrate 14 years of marriage on the 14th day of your wedding month, and I find myself on the other side of the world. Curse. Don't fret, my dear...I will get to be with you again very soon, and someday soon I will be able to take you to celebrate in a proper fashion. enjoy.

Happy Anniversary!!!

Part I:
With much joy and fondness do I sit down tonight and reflect on the blessed and happy state of my life with you. Today marks the completion of 14 years of marriage to you, and I wish like a dish of tuna fish that I was next to you to say this in person...but with my weakness in communicating, would I say the things I want to? Hard to say, Clark. One thing I do know is that things happen for a reason, and I firmly believe that I was lead to you. You were like a magnet for me. Once I saw you, I knew that I had to know you. Once I got to know you, I couldn't stay away. Period. I joke about marrying way above my head, but that couldn't be more true. The problem with that, however, is that you must tire of constantly dragging me along. Everything worthwhile, lovely and of good report related to my existence on this earth ties directly to you. Period. (I say that a lot...I think) You are my foundation of hope, happiness and pure joy. I cringe when I reflect on some of my past actions and attitudes related to our relationship, my career, my role in our family, my view of our family and the way I have treated you at times. I think our thoughts can be assembled in such a way as to create our own framework of endless misery and woe (I don't know how to spell woe, to be honest with you), and for me, thinking of those things does that to me. I doubt you had any idea of the amount of work it would be to have me in your life. Oh how great the hope that eternal life gives us, that we can be in a constant state of improvement and repair, always becoming better than we are...not settling for what we are now, but striving for what we can become. I am sorry it has taken me so dang long to appreciate you for all that you have done, all that you are and all that we can become together. Dang. That sounded good. Way better than any stupid card at Fry's or Wally-world....and I had to break from my stupid tradition of buying you some slightly (or not so slightly) suggestive card that was as shallow as all get out. :)

Part II:
Things I really, really like about Rebecca Suzanne Mecham (in no particular order):
- The sultry sound of her voice on the phone after a long day.
- The way she flips her lovely blonde locks off her shoulder when she is giving a kick-fannie presentation.
- The way she tilts her head when she is listening to what you have to say.
- The way she can whip up the most decisious meal in the world with nothing but vegetables, some left-over rice and a couple of cans of beans.
- The way she can sight read music better than most folks can play after practicing.
- The incredible way she smells. I am not kidding at all about that lotion applicator position...
- Her patience with her children, which far and away exceeds the great majority of the population.
- The way she sticks up for her children - always.
- Her desire to be a noble and obedient daughter of God.
- The way she says 'k'den' when she needs to make a point.
- The number of books about ancient prophets within an arm's reach at any given moment.
- Her honesty.
- Her passion about those things that she cares about.
- Her beauty.
- Her grace.
- Her soft spot for anything about the Royal Family, a Coke with lots of ice, and cadbury eggs.
- The wall of pillows erected every night to make the cursed (Sunday purchased) mattress even half-way comfortable.
- Her talent with hot wax.
- The way she can turn a trip to the gas station, grocery store or indian reservation into a reprieve from the world's troubles.
- Watching the way other people love her and react to her.
- Pulling the blanket up around her after she has fallen dead asleep on the couch, knowing that she may or may not sleep in her bed that night.
- Watching her manuver around a cooler in the back of the van as she distributes a fabulous meal to the family going 75 mph down the highway.
- Watching her manuver the tiller (her favorite power tool) around the garden or chicken coop.
- Listening to her play the piano in the evening just for the heck of it.
- Watching the reaction she gets from both the chickens and cocketiels. She really is the Bird Lady.
- The way she takes care of people recovering from sickness or surgery.
- The way she never makes fun of people coming out of surgery by making them say dumb stuff.
- The way she covers for people when they get sick at the sight of a needle or the wiggle of an IV thingy.
-

The way she makes me feel when I am with her....my oh my.

I love you, Becky
.

That is just a part of why I love Nate... I think its funny that he thinks he has "mis-treated" me... Like... when I think of that I think of people hitting other people. Or Maybe people saying something mean. He hasn't ever done any of that... But whatever.

My response... to that lovely letter:

Mi Amore,
No way, not ever, Will there be a card or letter written to beat that one. NEVER EVER! laughing and crying... And I don't think I could ever top it. You just hit a major home run... so tell me again, why are you 10 trillion miles away tonight?
I love you. I miss you. EVERYTHING about you. Everything.
Becky


I was so consumed trying to forget that yesterday was my anniversary, since I didn't get to spend how I would have liked to... and so I didn't post this little blog until the 15th. Oh well... Atleast I won't forget it.

5 comments:

Marja Liisa said...

You two look so young in that picture! I do remember that day as well and it was indeed a beautiful day! I love Nate's note to you and that fact that he uses his "Nate-ism's" (fish in a dish?!?) in it! You have got to write all of those down for us to enjoy! Happy Anniversary!

Jo Dee said...

you 2 are 2 of my favorite people in he world, and I am sick that you will be half way around the world soon.

Alison said...

Congratulations to both of you! An amazing couple that are raising adorable children! We will miss you so much, but look forward to living vicariously through you as you experience your European adventure! We are just a tad bit jealous!

Alison

Merilee said...

Who knew that Nate was a softey! I loved that letter! It was the sweetest thing I have ever read! I can't wait to see you two!

Suz said...

Merilee... I know... right?! See you Thursday!