Monday, August 31, 2009

School re-think...

Dear Coley,
Kindergarten started for you just weeks ago. And though you feel great anger within you that I didn't start you in all day Kindergarten it was only partly because of my selfishness to keep you home as long as possible... the other part of me just thinks that 5 years old is WAY too young to be gone from your mother all day. WAY WAY too young! I did it for your own good.
However, since that time you have asked me nearly 6 trillion times "is it time to leave for school yet?". You like to start the day out the same time as your siblings. I know that when we drop them off in the morning the look in your eyes, that want and yearning to leave your mother, is much greater than I ever anticipated... but its just not going to happen this year. So basically what I'm trying to say is, get over it already... K-den. And when we get home it is time for breakfast, not school! And 5 minutes after breakfast is over it is still not time to leave for school. And still, 5 min after that and 5 min after that and 5 min after that, it is still not time. You can count on 5 min after you eat your lunch that we will fill your water bottle, zip your back pack and head out the door. So don't worry. When I say "4 hours" that is a long time... Like enough time for you to eat 2 meals because you were hungry for them both which means there was digestion in between. So don't ask for breakfast and lunch 10 min apart thinking that it will get you to kindergarten one minute faster. So much to learn young one...
I have plenty to still teach you and I thoroughly enjoy your company. Please don't tell me one more time that, "if you really loved me you would have sent me to all day kindergarten". It makes me cry. Though I am thrilled that you and your sister share the same enthusiasm over public education, you should try to be a little more understanding that your mother definitely knows best... not your teacher. And further, she will never love you as much as I do. In addition to that, recess is over- rated and lunch at school comes from a package. And if you go to all day kindergarten then your water bottle gets hot and you have to drink out of those fountains that the water tastes like irrigation. Just ask McKay! He will tell you strait up... staying home as long as you can has its perks... He and I have daily discussions over home-school.
As this next week is on the horizon, I encourage you to come to an understanding that half day kindergarten is where it is at. Make some friends! Get their phone numbers AND their names and we will have morning recess at our house with them from 8-12 when you go to school. All is well, my young son.
XO,
Mother

1 comment:

Jo Dee said...

he will look back and thank you someday! Just give it a few more weeks and when the excitement of school wears off and the others complain about school, he'll realize just how lucky he is.