Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Over a month ago Cole had a birthday. I kept thinking I would post something to honor my favorite red headed boy in the world. But then the month got away from me... Let me try again...
(picture taken on COle's 8th birthday while he played with his army fleet of legos... Fav past time.) A little heart warmer story about Coley Wooley: From October to December the children were in Polish school. There was no such thing as English speaking for Cole in school. The kids had not learned it yet. His teacher didn't speak a lick. Each morning when I would drop him off he would thank me for letting him go to school and learn. One day In December, just before we went back to the United States for Christmas holiday, I decided to ask Coley why he thanked me every day for school. What exactly was it that he loved so much about Polish school? Afterall every day when I picked him up he was sitting on the bench all alone while all the other children played. Could it really be that fun? His answer, to this day - and probably forever, makes me tear up: "Every day I am happy to go to school, because I know you will pick me and take me home with you when its over." That is when I decided POlish school wasn't for us. That coupled with the fact that the kids were only learning Polish and it cost an arm and leg while we were getting further and further behind. So Cole's kindness made him the family allstar... Allstar for me because of his optimism. Allstar for Bailey and McKay because no amount of hate, anger or fear for Polish school could get them out of it, but Coley's kind words did the trick for all of them! There are a million little heart warmer stories of Cole... Here is another from the past year: Grampsydoodle and Grandma Chrissy along with Grandpa and Grandma Mecham had planned to come out and visit in the spring and join us for Cole's baptism. As April approached, so did aunt Merilee's due date and Grandma and Grandpa understandably wanted to be home for the big arrival and to help Mers. As they should be! And so we pushed Cole's baptism date back to May. Then Kyle decided he wanted to come to Poland but couldn't come until June. So we started to push back the baptism date again... because Kyle was coming with Grampsydoodle and Grandma Chrissy. We thought this is what Cole wanted! And we were all so excited for the Grands to come out. One afternoon while I was getting dinner ready Cole came in with a very serious face. "mom," he began, "I don't want to wait until June to get baptised. I want the Holy Ghost as soon as I am 8. I want to get baptised on my birthday or atleast a week later." He was ever so worried about the feelings of others, but understood the importance of his decision so much that he wasn't willing to let anyone push it back any longer. I was proud of that kid! So were his grandparents.
8 things I love love love about Coley Wooley boy: 8) He is truely the kindest person I have ever met in my life. 7) Cole has your back. One day when Nate wasn't around the kids and I were joking about something funny he does. Appearantly Cole thought we were making fun of him. And like a defender in shiny armor, Cole got right in our faces and said, "That's not funny or true!" and he stuck up for his dad until we let it die. He has done that for many people. 6) Mr. COley tries hard at everything he does. In 1st grade he was sloppily jotting down his spelling words when I inquired, "COle, don't you want to practice wrighting your words in your best penmanship? Why would you use your practice time to do sloppy work?" To that Cole erased his work and started over. He has never again penned a letter sloppily. Infact, his penmanship is better than many adults and several of his teachers have been BLOWN Away at how beautiful it is. 5) Cole has the best and biggest smile of anyone I know. My stomach still gets butterflies when I see his dimples. Cutey Coley... 4) Prayer time has always been exciting! When Cole was just learning to talk every time we prayed for our beloved prophet Cole would repeat, "Our big Big prophet!" He also said super funny things in prayers. A few months ago he told me that he had memorized a prayer so that he could get er done quickly. Insert talk about memorized prayers... And since that day Cole prays like he is at the pulpit of general conferance. He thinks about every word. 3) I love that Coley boy is so easy to teach. That he never forgets a single thing and that he learns quickly. 2) When Cole was a baby I asked Mr. Mecham to bless him with a sence of humor. BoY HoWdY!!! Did he ever!!! That Cole has the greatest sence of humor around... He always has us laughing. What a treat to have in our home. 1)Loving. Cole is so gentle and loving. He gives the world's best hugs... it's been his trademark for years! All the missionaries put out their hand to shake and COle just wizzes past and goes straight for the hug from day one. It usually takes them a time or two to remember how to hug but they figure it out quickly. Everyone knows Cole hugs not hand shakes. He is loving to his family and friends. He can show and tell you love like I've never seen another. It is a quality that I only wish I could polish like he has... He loves so easily and is so easy to love. Happy Birthday on April 3 Mr. Coley boy! I love you so much.

1 comment:

Marja Liisa said...

Let me wipe the tears away....
We love him too! What a great boy and cousin! We miss him and his giant hugs! Can't wait to see you in the summer!