Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wait... What is his plan?

Might I preface this post by saying that most of the hard questions my kids ask me are answered by "that is Heavenly Father's way of..." And so this was no different...After a hard night of croupy coughs and Cole swearing that he was having a near death experience by the size of the goober in his throat, we drove to Dr. Ciminello's office. After we were all checked in and awaiting to actually be seen, I explained that Cole would not only have to show the Dr. his throat but also show him his arm pits because they had been rashly a few days earlier. Oh... and also the little groin triangle... that was rashly too!
Cole: "um I am NOT (with emphasis!) lifting up my shirt. He will see my bare tummy."

Mom: "what about all the people who see your tummy when you swim?"

Cole:"I wear swim shirts mom... people don't see my bare tummy".

Mom: "well you'll also have to show him your groin".

Cole: "that's fine. but not my tummy."

moment of silence while mom reads on in the National Geographic...
Cole: "what a groin?"

Mom: "That is where your rash was down by the private parts, Cole."

Cole: "Oh geez! I am NOT (with more emphasis and an escape planning) pulling down my pants! You don't me MY privates, right?!"

Mom: "Doctors see these things all day! They have to or they can't diagnose you properly!"

Cole: "well then I'm going to be sick forever! Would you pull down your pants for the Dr?"

And so I gave my answer about 20 seconds of thought and then decided... what the heck! He's 5 he'll never get it!
Mom: "Um yes... I've had 3 babies Cole! Where do you think they come from?"

Cole: "Mom, I said your pants, not your shirt... but I'm not doing that either."

Silence. Never mind that I'm trying not to noticeably laugh over the sincerity and critical nature of these concerns...
Cole: "Where do babies come from?"

Mom: "well, Heavenly Father's plan to get his children from their mom's uterus to daylight isn't out the belly button Cole."

Thinking time.... silence....
Cole: "You're not saying?..." funny face.... "Bailey was right!"

Later on that night when we got home Cole remembered to let the kids in on the little education he had at the dinner table.
Cole: "do you know what Heavenly Father's plan to get the babies out of mom's tummy is?"

McKay... chokes on his food.

Bailey... "Please don't bring it up Cole."

Cole: "So mom, why did he have that plan anyway?"

10 comments:

Jo Dee said...

I love it when kids ask those kinda wuestions! Hopefully everyone in on the mend at your house!

Marja Liisa said...

That was so funny!!! I love that kid. I can just see him talking to you. It sounds like he and Brogan are in the same boat. He has croup too. Thanks for the good laugh!!!

Alison said...

So, So Funny. I can't decide who's comments make me laugh more...yours or the kids! You are a great mom! Make sure you remind your kids of that today! And as you probably know, the conversations with your kids only get more fun and definitely more interesting!

E and T Macdonald said...

Too funny! I'd love to be fly on the wall at your house! You guys are a riot! :)

Erin Flanagan Woods said...

Hilarious!!

Cami said...

So awesome. Cole is funny!

Merilee said...

I laughed so hard reading this.... I love that kid! I hope you don't mind but i'm using this example in my health class. Out of the mouth of babes... :)

cherryl said...

ha ha ha. how funny to be a kid and have to learn upsetting stuff like that!!

cherryl said...

Becky-
I saw the post below about the Nielsons. I have never really followed that story, though I heard about it. The picture on your blog was the first I had seen. I know they're from mesa, where did they go to school... did he go to school with us, but younger? How do you know them?

RLJ said...

Becky, this story is tooooo precious, You have the greatest kids, and family by the way. Please tell everyone in your family we think of you often and Hi, from the Jacksons..